Sign in to follow this  
gmcbob

Book Recommendations for Kids

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen was one of my favorites. He has many outdoor books that I enjoyed at that age.

Edit: Actually anything from Gary Paulsen is good. Soldier's Heart, The Rifle, Tucket's Travels, the list is long and great. Including a book of hunting and fishing essays that are told from a teen's point of view. Good stuff all around.

perhaps try Jim Harrisons' "the boy who ran to woods". Patagonia's own 'one-eyed jim' is a favorite author/poet/liberal and have heard great reviews of this childrens tale.

the late Jess Hayes of globe wrote some great stories-try "sheriff thompson's days". lots of frontier law and order-he was gila county schools superintendent.

maybe Ross Santee's "the bar x golf course" an Arizona comedy that had me falling out of my chair. par? 1703!

lee

Insanity runs in the family-it practically gallups!

My side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George is a good trilogy about a boy that runs away to the mountains.

Good luck, I hope your kids enjoy them!

Thanks for the sugggestions! I've started looking at these on amazon to buy a few.

Let me know if anyone else has any books to recommend.

Bob

Where the red fern grows.

+1....I read it again about six months ago. Should be manditory reading for all kids.