mrmuley

5B North mule deer?

Has anybody ever hunted this unit for mule deer? i know it has a small population but possibly some monsters? I have a late season elk tag in this unit and thought it would be cool to learn the terrain early on to prepare for elk. Anybody ever see any?

There are some good ones but I have never seen one that will make the record books but they are out there....there's a reason they get that big. Scout in the ceder/pine transitional area and look at draws that lead out from canyons and you might end up having to make a long shot or do a lot of stalking to get within a healthy shot range. Good luck!

• Like 1

A very very tough hunt for a good buck, you will need a lot of luck to get a nice deer down. I have hunted 5B many many times and you might see a good buck scouting but once the hunt starts they are gone.

saw a non typical freak on a rifle bull hunt, it was 15 years ago, but wow! that was the only deer we saw in a week. near diablo canyon.

Very good bucks in this unit.Not alot of quanity but very good quality. I would focus out towards the north face of Anderson mesa where it transitions into the cedars. Was up there last year with a cow elk tag and saw some very nice bucks.

I found this freak antler in 5BN on Anderson Mesa during a cow hunt. not the best pics. It is hard to show the mass.

post-5337-0-80974300-1340329121.jpg

post-5337-0-80590500-1340329158_thumb.jpg

Last season, during a late season bull hunt, I ran into 3 of the biggest bucks I have ever seen in that area in 5 years. All three were together and the smallest was a 4x4. Very nice deer to say the least.

That being said, I have never seen these type of deer with any regularity.

Good luck

Two years ago a guy from Flagstaff killed a whopper double drop tine buck that made record books. He was over 200”. My brother and I saw that buck several times during my archery Elk hunt that year. We also ran across four other bucks and one of those was a true giant too. Every bit of 30” and 3 of the 4 were all toads. As others have mentioned, they are very few deer in 5B. I believe they are on a rebound there though as I see more every year. Good luck with your hunt. Be sure to post up pic’s if you thwack one!

GBA