Sign in to follow this  
corkin it

unit 23

Finally drew a WT tag!! :D Cant wait. I have hunted javelina in the area and spent some time around mule creek. Any of you who could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Picked up some topos today and i will get out scouting soon. Good luck to everyone who drew and sorry to those who didnt. Jake

Jake,

Welcome to CWT. There was a thread about two years ago about 23. A search should find it. I hunted the south side of Brushy, but so did a lot of others. Saw a few coues, but more muleys.

RR

Finally drew a WT tag!! :D Cant wait. I have hunted javelina in the area and spent some time around mule creek. Any of you who could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Picked up some topos today and i will get out scouting soon. Good luck to everyone who drew and sorry to those who didnt. Jake

Shwooo..... Spent the last hour pooring over old posts. It helped quite a bit..Thank you. I cant wait for the hunt!! Looking forward to getting out and scouting. Thanks again Rabbit, Jake

Is there any elk in this unit? I drew a Sept 16th archery hunt and now I am hearing how bad it is. Tell me it is not true.

Is there any elk in this unit? I drew a Sept 16th archery hunt and now I am hearing how bad it is. Tell me it is not true.

stay to the far north of the unit toward glenwood area but plan on working for it

Guest AZ>NMcouesaddict

Although not as good as the neighboring units 23 still has very big bulls and some country that very few folks hunt. I know guys that hunt that every year and call in bulls like they've never been called to before. On my many trips from Reserve to Silver City, I see bulls all the way down to Glenwood just off the highway. The better spots require some hiking but it's well worth it. Let me know if you see any good coues deer.

Thanks for the info. I will defintely let you know on the Coues. I am hoping to make my first trip down there next weekend.

105Coues,

I've hunted the northern part a few times and have never seen any elk. I have see mulies, coues, bighorn, javies, and coatimundi. Just not any elk. The few times I was down there I had no idea how to hunt coues, I would walk and glass and probably spooked more than I saw I'm sure.

I drew the first rifle hunt this year and plan on doing some more scouting and a bunch more glassing.

Good luck,

--Bill