Sign in to follow this  
lonne

Loss of Bear Hunting Access Due To Extreme Fire Danger

The wallow fire was started by hunters? I thought it was started by 2 guys camping or maybe I'm missing something.

I'll have to see where I can find a source. The "campers" were two guys out with their bear/lion hounds. They left the dogs in camp to go out and look for sign. Their fire got out of control while they were gone and started the fire....the first casualties were their dogs. This is what I was told by the locals, so they could have been adding flavor to the story.

The wallow fire was started by hunters? I thought it was started by 2 guys camping or maybe I'm missing something.

I'll have to see where I can find a source. The "campers" were two guys out with their bear/lion hounds. They left the dogs in camp to go out and look for sign. Their fire got out of control while they were gone and started the fire....the first casualties were their dogs. This is what I was told by the locals, so they could have been adding flavor to the story.

This is from the indictment filed in federal court describing the scene, it doesn't prove they were hunting, but it sure sounds like the kind of equipment (badlands pack, pistol, and 30-30) many of us on here would take into the woods if we had some dogs with us:

"In addition, Caleb listed a Badlands Pack, Garmin GPS, sleeping bag, Thermarest, Smith sunglasses, Ruger .22 pistol, and other miscellaneous items as property that he left behind in camp. David also listed items that he left behind in camp, which included his dog, Olympus camera, a backpack, 30-30 Marlin rifle, sleeping bag, air mattress, a lighter, water filter, headlamp, inflatable pillow, and food. "

But, it also says the dogs were blue heelers....not exactly the bear hounds folks have said they were.

Thanks for the info. I just remember the news saying to campers cousins or something like that from tucson or down south somewhere. Sounds like they had more hunting type gear then your average camper would carry.

They have to have these closures cause people are stupid. Most people are smart enough to know driving down a dirt road to camp that it is to dry for a fire. heck I saw a guy at willow springs a few weeks ago with a fire blazing and it was windy to where I couldn't cast more then 10 yards. We have to pay because of other peoples stupidity. I wish they would keep these areas open and just have more law enforcement around to nail the idiots but that won't happen.

Some of it has to do with logistics. The Waldo Canyon fire in Colorado Springs caused the evacuation of thousands. I was there and lots of folks were pissed and inconvienced. If it wasn't done who is to say how many would have died and then the lawsuites start. With the Monsoon here I believe restrictions will be lifted.

But if the resources aren't available because equpiment and manpower are spread too thin then areas get temporarily closed to entry. You lessen the risk but can't prevent it entirely so it gets managed.