Sign in to follow this  
m77

Mule Deer, Coues and Cross Breeding

I have spent a fair amount of years scouting and hunting unit 6a. I found sheds that looked like Coues in areas typically known for Mule Deer and vice verses. We all know that roam each others territory. I have heard talk about Mule Deer and Coues cross breeding in this unit. Anyone have any evidence of that actually occuring?

Go on YouTube and search "hybrid buck in southern Arizona". I videoed this buck last year. It was WAY cool to see him in the field and that I had my camera with me. As far as in your neck of the woods, there's nothing saying that can't cross-breed up there.

A study by a grad student up at NAU analysed DNA from more than 350 animals. He concluded that approximately 2% of the Coues whitetail populations consist of hybrids between Coues and mule deer. This percentage includes a low incidence of back crosses to the original species. So, the odds are that if you spend a lot of time glassing, tending your trail cameras, looking at deer and picking up antlers, you are likely to encounter some hybrids.

• Like 1

Thanks. Good info guys and a super cool video. I am going to try to find that NAU study. Thanks again. So if you shot a hybrid during hunting season, does it count for a mule deer or a coues?

The tail will be the sole identification of the deer, if you have a mule deer tag and shoot a coues that has a muley rack and a coues tail you will get in trouble.

A feller shot a 180lb coues deer down south and it had a Muley rack and ears and body but it had a whitey butt, I think it scored 130 or so

We always hear the stories but few pictures ever get posted of a hybrid that's been shot,seen,spotted. Do people not carry around a camera these days?

I've observed a Coues buck tending a muley doe in 22.

Also saw a hybrid doe hanging with muley does in 22. The hybrid had strange looking tail, big like a Coues but had a dark tip like a muley. She also had a light rump patch like a muley. Her coloration was very similar to a Wiemariemer (sp?). Cool looking deer, this deer was seen near the summit of Slate Creek off hwy 87.

We always hear the stories but few pictures ever get posted of a hybrid that's been shot,seen,spotted. Do people not carry around a camera these days?

Pictures AND video have been posted on this site already. Lots of others as well.

Pictures AND video have been posted on this site already. Lots of others as well.

Yeah I saw that video, wasn't it yours tines? That for sure was a hybrid it's going to be for that little guy to find a girlfriend being not a Wt or Muley.

With all the reports I was referring too there are way more reports then pics.

Thats what I'm talking about. That one is an awesome hybrid Elkhunter.

I shot a hybrid buck in 2007 in unit 21. I had a coues tag and glassed up a heard of muley bucks. After looking them over pretty good, it was obvious one buck was pretty different looking than the others. Didn't have the white patch on its rear with the skinny black tale. One horn was a typical three and the other was just a clump of points. Spoke with a game and fish buddy of mine who I described the deer to and said I was good to go on harvesting him. Pretty cool buck but I wouldn't shoot one again.