Sign in to follow this  
gonhntn

Scouting cam???????

These cameras that use the Hags boards will run the board on a 9 volt battery for 6 months But you need to change the batterys on the camera every couple weeks . The 9 volt only runs the board

It all goes back to what our own likeing. it appears I have had great success with these lower end cams. I too would love to have a higher end. but like to put $ toward other hunting stuff that I do not need but have to have ;)

It all goes back to what our own likeing. it appears I have had great success with these lower end cams. I too would love to have a higher end. but like to put $ toward other hunting stuff that I do not need but have to have ;)

I agree 100% I just recently finally got Swarovski's. People think we are nut....and we are!

Rim Hunter,

If you go to wally-world and get the rechargeable energizers that are 2500-2800 mAh (milli-amp hours) you can run the cam for a month or around 400 pics. They are rechargeable so now all you pay is electricity to charge the suckers and your good to go. The nice thing about building your own is the size. You can build a unit that is literally just larger than a $10 bill.....3D camo that bad boy and you'll be lucky to find the thing once you've left it on a tree.

Most people are not in the woods looking for cams. When you have some big ol' 1'LX8W"8"D Moultrie hangin' on a tree the thing sticks out like a sore thumb.

MY RECOMMENDATIONS ARE:

1. GET OR BUILD THE BEST YOU CAN AFFORD

2. GET WHAT YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE SPENDING AND LEAVING HANGIN' IN A TREE

3. DON'T BE LAZY AND STUPID WITH PLACEMENT OR IT'S GONE

I think there are some good and bad Moultries. I have one that takes great pic,s and a lot of them so I bought another and it was garbage. It wouldnt' take very many pic's and the ones it did were washed out.

If you can get a working one I do think it is a good deal. I am trying a replacement now and my fingers are crossed.

105coues,

You hit it on the head. All 3 moultries I purchased would take very few pictures and they were usually washed out. I tried everything you could think of thinking it was my fault for not setting it up correctly. I finally gave up and told walmart they needed to stop selling them. I bet if I purchased one from bowhunter4life's Wallyworld I'd be fine.

its a crying shame that people (fellow hunters) take cams its a sick sick world. I have come across serveral in the scouting cams and felt like an butt for being in someone elses area. So if anyone of you see a mildly over weight guy holding a small sign thats says CWT ROCKS with a thumbs up on thier cams thats me. I am buying a cam in the near future any ideas on the best store bought?

My partner and I own and use four cuddeback non-typical (1.3 pix). These cameras are sweet and have locking system to keep the honest people honest. Someone could easily come back for any camera and take it with proper tools. The cuddeback have log in codes and are useless to any one but the owner. I'm sure a loser thief wouldn't no this until my camera was in his home! We just purchased one of these moultries every one is talking about, from what I can tell in home tests the cuddeback blows it away. Trigger speed and trigger distance. Trigger distance from what I can tell is double or triple and the speed of the moultrie will give you a lot of partial pictures and missed empty shots. This will not happen with the cudde. We did built a simple locking system with flat stock for the moultrie. If you set it up as is I'm sure it's only a matter of time until someone takes it. Our cuddebacks take nice pictures at night with a flash. I can tell game are not spooked by the flash, they will stay and I've gotten eight pictures in nine minutes of a good buck on salt. Good luck with any of the camera you decide to go with. From my experience set up and testing your set up is key. Everytime we set up a camera we play with the trigger beam for a long time to make sure is right. Don't slap your camera up and walk away, you'll be disapointed with those results.

I have to agree with coues7. If you have a little patience and 200 dollars (and a drill and soldering iron) you can build yourself one sweet relyable unit. If you need help building these cams go to the websites that coues7 mentioned or PM me....I'll lend a hand. Whatever you decide.....Dont forget to post the pics :angry:

gotcoues.....I agree with your statement about setup. Always try and point you cams north and take the time to get them alligned for the best detection. Here is a pic that I didnt take the time and point it the right way so I got some sun (that I didnt want), but nice pic none-the-less.

post-226-1152903195.jpg

Ive built cameras for the last three years . This year I sold all and started using A 2.0 Megapixal camera that i buy for about $90.00 Ive wired them to a 12 volt battery that is $19.95 . I have had over a 1000 pic on this setup over a 15 week span and the battery was working great when I check them .Ive also put a solar charger on a few that I get a Harbor Freight for $11.99 This set up will run forever .

Ive got about $135.00 in each camera,Battery, and solar charger they take good pic's and seem to take pic's as fast as the ones I used to build dont seem to miss anything

I can have two cameras for what I use to cost me to build one . Ive doubled the number of cameras I have by doing this and if I get busy I dont have to check then so often And know Im not missing anything because I wont have a dead battery .

Coues7,Tam,Treestandman,and J-Rod

You all are right about the quality of a home brew camera there nothing on the market that workes this good. I have had a few cameras Ive bougth that had somethimg wrong with them . I sent them back and got new ones with no questions asked all the ones I have now work great

A lot of us dont need magazine quality pic's we just wont to now whats out there . Ive got a couple of cameras that are slow real slow you just have to set them up so your they have time to work placement is the key on these slow cameras I dont miss a shot never have a empty pic .

With the price of the Sony cameras even on Ebay its hard to build a camera for under $250.00 now days a few years ago I bought some refurbished cameras pretty cheep but you cant do this anymore and I can have two cameras for that price and make them work quite well

Hope you guys dont think that Im slaming you because I not . Im buying what I can aford and it seems to be working great as good as the cameras I use to make you just have to now how to set them up

Im glad you feel that way I enjoy seeing your pic's . I enjoy all the pic's everyone posts and hope you all keep up all the good work some day i need to learn how to post some of mine . Thanks to everyone who has posted pic's I have enjoyed every one of them