AZP&Y

Arizona Trail - Section #30 - 33 miles- Solo

Well it was time to hit the Arizona Trail again ? this time solo.. Having completed section #29 in April, I was anxious to get on with #30 and my goal of reaching Flagstaff sometime by the end of summer. The trail begins south of Mormon Lake and ends at Marshall Lake. 33 miles of Arizona backcountry. While driving by Lake Mary, 40 elk entered the area between Upper and Lower lake Mary to graze. Had to pull over the truck and take a few pictures and dream of the September archery hunt and hopefully a 2006 tag.

The first 5 miles started with a welcome rain shower and a steady drenching. It has been raining up north and the grass and forage is beginning to improve, over the last few weeks, although more is needed. I had the opportunity to spot over 100 elk along the way 15 deer, some coyotes and big ol pile of bear scat.

As the trail climbed onto Anderson Mesa, I kept my eyes open and scored a pair of 6x6 bull elk sheds , which I carried 8 miles on my pack to Marshall Lake. The days in the high country seem to melt away as the grand Arizona sunset completed another day in paradise.

One last stop at Signature Taxidermy in Flagstaff to pick up my cow elk mount from last September & onto the desert floor and hopes of returning in September!

http://www.aztrail.org/passages/pass_30.html

AzP&Y

Doug

post-898-1152764523.jpg

post-898-1152764542.jpg

post-898-1152764612.jpg

post-898-1152764750.jpg

You certainly know how to share a story and adventure! Congrats on your fortitude for the extreme hike!

very cool!! You're almost there!!!

One question, is Mt Humphrys open to hike?? We were thinking of making the trip up there tomorrow and doing the hike on Sat morn.. i wasn't sure with all of the recent closures and such.. Let me know!

Thats awesome! How long did it take you? Thanks for the story/pics. JIM>

Hi Jim,

It took me 3 days, I did 5 miles the first day, 16 miles the second and 13 the last day. I had to go to Pinegrove campground about a mile off the trail to get water so, it added a bit of trail time.

Scotty boy - Yes, Humphrey's trail is open .. That is a real challenging hike. Just get an early start and avoid the lightening on the mountain! Take some pictures and please share them!

Doug

AzP&Y

Doug, we're pulling out of Tucson within the hour and headed to the high country. I'll fill ya in on how the hike goes! Hopefully, by tomorrow, I will have stood on the highest peak that AZ has to offer!!!

didn't see any, but heard a couple of males "hootin" at the lower parts of the mountain in the thick stuff.. We had a good time and dodged a few monsoons and got to the top of the hill!! Highest peak in AZ baby!!