Sign in to follow this  
Pixman

Passing on Gene's ?

So I have seen this bull grow up over the last 4 years and I was wondering if he had offspring would they have antlers similar to his or are his just a rare freaky thing that happened to him only?

post-4217-0-36637200-1343593443_thumb.jpgpost-4217-0-36910600-1343593466_thumb.jpgpost-4217-0-31089000-1343593498_thumb.jpgpost-4217-0-50102700-1343593553_thumb.jpg

I don't know the answer to your question but that is a dang nice bull I would love to take down. Thanks for sharing. You always have great pictures for us. Keep up the good work.

TJ

If his antlers grow like that due to an injury then his offspring shouldn't because his genes wouldn't mutate. If his genetics call for antler configuration in this manner then his offspring could possibly show similar characteristics. However, the cows he mates with could have dominant genes that could overshadow this defect and show normal antler configuration. Theres no gaurantees with genetics.... just probabilities.

Cool bull for sure. I know that I would make the decision to take him depending on the situation.....I will say that I shot one with one side that was messed up but overall he was not as good as the one you posted.

Could be either one. Killed a bull in Wy that didn't grow right on his left side, his offspring had the same type horn. Also seen seen odd antlers due to an injury. Go fish....

I killed a bull in 2010 that was a 2x6. I showed it to my buddy thats not a hunter and he asked me why it grew like that and i told him i had no clue. He called game and fish and they told him any time an elk is injured or wounded the antlers will be deformed on whatever side it was injured.

In a class I took awhile back I was told (just like those above) that this type of thing does happen most of the time due to an injury. The teacher then explained further that anter growth is directly tied too testosterone not just water/mineral content in the animals diet.

So yes it can be passed on by genetics also because testosterone abnormalities can be passed to off-spring but it can also be that a male had his (man parts) injured at some point effecting his testosterone production. In like manner (if I understand correctly) this is why female deer, elk etc have been known to produce antlers as it was passed genetically also.

I killed a bull in 2010 that was a 2x6. I showed it to my buddy thats not a hunter and he asked me why it grew like that and i told him i had no clue. He called game and fish and they told him any time an elk is injured or wounded the antlers will be deformed on whatever side it was injured.

Actually I've heard and believe the deformity will happen on the opposite side of the injury and is typically with leg injuries. I've also heard that there are parasites that can cause deformities as well. Some deformities are just a genetic trait and that can and does get passed down to offspring. We watch bulls grow every year in the same areas and it's fairly common to see genetic traits being handed down. It's neat seeing a new bull come of age and knowing who his daddy was! JIM>

Actually I've heard and believe the deformity will happen on the opposite side of the injury and is typically with leg injuries. I've also heard that there are parasites that can cause deformities as well. Some deformities are just a genetic trait and that can and does get passed down to offspring. We watch bulls grow every year in the same areas and it's fairly common to see genetic traits being handed down. It's neat seeing a new bull come of age and knowing who his daddy was! JIM>

Jim is correct, as a wildlife biologist on studies, if a bull is injured on his right side, if he has an abnormal antler it will be on the opposite side of the injury, it is similar to ur brain, the left side of ur brain controls the right side of your body and vise versa