Sign in to follow this  
bowhuntaz1

Confirmed Rabbit Fever in AZ

does G&F put an alert out for this?

James

James

Not sure. I'm part of the Arizona Animal Control Association. Thats how I found out.

Nice pics by the way James. The bear I was keeping an eye on left the area and a rinky dink one showed up.

Guest akaspecials

Thanks for the heads up! The rule of thumb in my family has always been to not shoot rabbits till after the first hard freeze. That way there is a better chance that any ones with Tularemia will die off.

Old timers used to say we shouldn't hunt rabbits in any month that did not have an R in it. Not certain, but isn't rabbit fever endemic in all wild rabbit populations?

Bill Quimby

news media sensationalizing way out of proportion.

""The cottontail season in Arizona is year-round. However, few cottontails are taken during the summer months due to hunter concerns regarding disease and parasites. Many myths exist among hunters (especially hunters from back East) concerning the “edibility” of summer rabbits. Cottontails (and the larger jackrabbits) are host to internal and external parasites (all year long, by the way). Hunters who improperly handle sick rabbits can be exposed to tularemia and the plague. This causes many hunters to look to other species as potential prey, particularly during the warmer months.

Since cottontails are abundant and very tasty, I don’t let these concerns stop me from hunting summer rabbits. My strategy is this: Wear rubber gloves when dressing the beast; let the rabbit cool (to help reduce external parasites) before carrying it on your person; wash your hands following handling and cleaning; and cook the rabbit thoroughly. You can also skin and dress the cottontail immediately during the hunt, reducing the chance an external parasite will switch hosts.

If you hunt rabbits below 3,500 feet in elevation during any portion of the year, you’ll greatly reduce your potential exposure to both plague and tularemia. Never harvest or handle a cottontail that appears to be ill.""

the above was clipped from the 2006 AZGF article: http://www.azgfd.gov/i_e/pubs/CottontailHunting.shtml

Interesting! I don't hunt rabbits so I didn't know about these issues! .....plague!

The plague typically is carried on rodents (including rabbits) by fleas, The AZGFD article mbiewer quoted seems like good advice.

Bill Quimby

heck, I missed a cottontail two weeks ago with my bow at mere feet! Not my proudest moment. LOL

James

Not sure. I'm part of the Arizona Animal Control Association. Thats how I found out.

Nice pics by the way James. The bear I was keeping an eye on left the area and a rinky dink one showed up.

I've seen a few rabbits with some nasty parasites......

thanks!

still have a few bears coming in.

my brother in-law has bear madness going on!

he sent me about 20 photos of bears!

still trying to figure out exactly how many he's got going on... :blink:

the recent rains should send some of them back into the canyons.

We're going to try to glass up a couple on the opener...

In his other spot he had 1 bear lay down in front of his cam and chill out for a while! Crazy bear action this season!

James

Old timers used to say we shouldn't hunt rabbits in any month that did not have an R in it. Not certain, but isn't rabbit fever endemic in all wild rabbit populations?

Bill Quimby

Tularemia is endemic in most most mammal populations. One of my graduate assistants contracted it while helping me necropsy a nilgai antelope in Texas. Others I have known who were wildlife biologists or technicians have contracted it from deer, squirrels, javelina, Axis deer and who knows what else. Generally, if an animal is dressed right away, the chances of contracting it are lessened but not completely erased. I use rubber gloves when cleaning and/or dressing mammals in warm weather, especially early fall deer and pronghorns. So far, I have not had a bout with it.

Thanks. I am hoping I'll get to gut and cut up another cow elk near the cabin when my hunt opens in two weeks. Maybe I should buy some rubber gloves.

Bill Quimbyy