Sign in to follow this  
KiLLAcOuEs

No Archery In December In 34A??

Just wondering if anyone knows why they are closing down 34A archery in December. Saw it in the Regs but doesn't say what for?

Evidently, the archers take too many deer in December but the 1,000's of rifle tags in Oct and Nov have no effect.

• Like 3

yup a lot of deer hit the dirt in December. Should be mandatory for everyone to submit the questionnaire. Or face a 3 year no draw list, can not build bonus points, and lose all your points.

• Like 1

Were there more deer that we're harvested in December then January and that's why it no longer exist?

best guess is the change is to keep some pressure off mule deer, not to worrried about archery hunters hurting the whitetail in 34A

Yeah, I think the season closures are based on G&F annual deer counts and the percent archery kills. Although, it shoud be pointed out that the percent harvest for rifle hunts are based on a calculation (guess) based on the harvest counts in the field, the reported harvest cards ( & g&m web reporting page) and a guess of those that do not submitt a harvest card! The harvest objective for mule deer are low as reflected by the number of tags so it may have something to do with meeting or exceeding the archery harvest objectives! I am going to be rifle hunting in this unit for the first time this year.........I will fill out the harvest card!

Were there more deer that we're harvested in December then January and that's why it no longer exist?

I believe so, but i also thought a lot of mulies hit the dirt.

I'm not thirlled that because one species is high in sucess that the other speicies hunts are affected.