Sign in to follow this  
'Ike'

My CA Archery Antelope

22 years and a third alternate draw later, here he is...Taken on the fourth day of our nine day season!

post-8681-0-01241500-1344634044_thumb.jpg

post-8681-0-88938400-1344634059_thumb.jpg

What a great animal! Congrats and thanks for sharing that with us. How far away was he when you shot him?

Story, I can do that! :D

After 22 years and being 3rd alternate it was a crazy ride! Got to my area on Thursday (2nd) before the opener on Saturday (4th)...Before leaving I had 25 plus water sources mapped out and ready to go, one being the Big 'C' tank in honor of Chris a buddy that had drawn the tag several years before...Also killed a very nice Lope!

That one I knew was gone before even getting there as a 'local' had a blind up a month before. This I'd find out later...He actually shot my buck opening morning, hitting it quartered away, but the reaction of the buck caused it to stay below the skin and coming out in his neck above the right shoulder...Long story short the buck survived the non-lethal hit and the guy smoked a good buck the next day and I got to hunt 'C' tank...

I should add that out of the 25+ tanks/water sources mapped out on BLM land two had water!

First day in the blind for me was Monday with only small bucks coming in...Not something I was going to shoot after 22 years!

post-8681-0-01058500-1344637235_thumb.jpg

The next day, Tuesday (7th) and fourth day of the season was in the blind early and ready to go...Actually felt good as the night before I had found another good area with water and a lot of 'Lope' sign...I'd left a trail-cam and had decided to hit that one the next day if need be...

At a little after 0600 I could hear animals behind me and looked to see the buck above and at least 12 does and a small buck staring holes in my blind! They finally committed but at a terrible angle and the buck surrounded by does so no shot op...

They spooked and circled out around in front of me, but to far for a shot...I noticed he had maybe a slight limp, but not bad and I really didn't think it was the 'opening day' buck...Another of him through the net and out the left side...

So I'm just thinking 'great goat' and stay calm when he turns and I see his side and the dried blood! Holy moly, no way, same buck!

They hemmed and hawwed around out of range for almost a hour before a couple sage hens came in and saved the day! Guess they thought if the Sage Hen thought it was safe, it was!

post-8681-0-91192500-1344637496_thumb.jpg

post-8681-0-72608400-1344637593_thumb.jpg

So here they come again and again, I can hear them before I see them and can see their reflection in the water before they get to it...

I also see the buck and this time he's swung a lil farther to the right, my left and into a shooting area for me...As he gets to the water, his shoulder is back and he's quartered to...Locked in and ready I touch it off before any does can get in the way...

Thwak! A explosion of water, Lopes and mud ensues and I see my buck struggle to make the berm, but also notice quit a bit of arrow sticking out...A bit worried until I see he's not able to keep up with departing does and beds quickly on a ridge behind me at 65 yards or so...

The does come back for him and he gets up only to struggle maybe 10 more yards and bed down again...I could just make out his horns above the sage and rock....

22 years and 3rd alternate later, an hour was nothing to wait...Number 1 was gone! 14 7/8" and 14.5" plus great mass!

post-8681-0-02638500-1344637716_thumb.jpg

post-8681-0-60322700-1344637903_thumb.jpg

25 yard shot with about a 70 or so yard recovery...

post-8681-0-10322300-1344638045_thumb.jpg

A big congratulations on a beautiful buck! Great write-up.

Curious on your blind, did you leave it up for a couple of days or did you set it up each day? It looks so obvious out there but I guess antelope don't give it much thought.?.?

A big congratulations on a beautiful buck! Great write-up.

Curious on your blind, did you leave it up for a couple of days or did you set it up each day? It looks so obvious out there but I guess antelope don't give it much thought.?.?

Thank you! The local guy that drew the tag had his up for almost a month, but I liked a different location which you see....Mine was up for almost three (3) days! I didn't even hunt it Sunday after the guy had killed his just because all the activity and I wanted them to get to water...Monday they were still pretty skittish with it, but by Tuesday, not to bad as another group that came in while I was giving my buck time, paid little attention to it...

This is a spotting scope pic of the 'buck' on Saturday...You can see the blood on his side and he's watching his backtrail!

post-8681-0-62908000-1344704048.jpg