Manny, just a question for ya, not trying to be a smart butt but do you think that if that 'piece' of a deer is so tiny that you cant tell if it is a deer or not with the binos, do you think you will be able to find it with the spotting scope using one eye?

Jim, that is what hunting is to me. when i get older and maybe hunt by myself maybe i will hold out for 100+ but as of right now, i am young and just want the experience and the memories under my belt. yeah a big ole buck looks good on the wall and great in pictures, but i am perfectly happy with my 84" 3x3, my 3x2 (which actually would have been a really nice buck, he had palmation and a start of a drop tine :X ) and my little spike on the wall. i am perfectly happy with them and while a 110+ would look AWESOME on the wall, if it happens then awesome! if not, im fine with it!

Manny, just a question for ya, not trying to be a smart butt but do you think that if that 'piece' of a deer is so tiny that you cant tell if it is a deer or not with the binos, do you think you will be able to find it with the spotting scope using one eye?

If your talking about finding the bush or tree you were looking at, yes. If you have a tripod that has quick release plates you can pull your bino's off and put your scope on your tripod without taking it off of the spot you were looking at. Once its on you can put your scope on the lowest power (most scopes 15-20 power) and once you verify your looking at the right spot you can zoom it in to whatever you scope will go to. Sometimes you still can't tell right off the bat, but I have found when animals make small movements such as an ear slightly moving it is easier to notice it when they are zoomed in.

Manny has a very good point. I use my scope all the time to get a better look at something that may be part of a deer but just cant tell for sure in the binos. CB

i use my for spotting movement either a ear twitch or a tail flop when my binos just cant reach. Altough i am in need of a new spotter any ideas on which to go with mine is old and i droped it last year and now it rattles. What do u all use and suggest?

i find myslf using the spotting scope to clarify things for me that i cant through my binos and sometimes in really thick areas i like to glass with spotting scope just because it is not shaking and can see better....i find it useful to have or that reason

Right now I'm saving up for some bigger glass. I had originally planned on getting a spotting scope but now plan on getting some 15X binos first, and then save up for the spotting scope. Spotting scope I'm using now is 20+ years old and I can almost see things better through my Nikon 10X's unless the scope is just right.

For my hunting goals right now I think the 15X binos will be better for me than a spotting scope. I can see in a few years wanting the spotter though for better zoom to determine if it is an ear or leg I'm seeing through the binos and for digiscoping. For long term glassing I prefer to look through binos rather than a spotting scope.

Guest Ernesto C

I dont have in my P C a picture that I have rigth now on my hands that great hunter Coueselk took with his spotting scope. I always show this picture to people and ask them: can you see the deer? 99% of the people can't see the deer through the brush.

When we were looking at this deer I could not see it with my 15's binos through the brush not to mention with our naked eyes and with the help of the most powerfull spotting scope we had and still have a hard time to find that deer behind all that thick ocotillo.

Yes spotting scopes they do help but need to have a well train eye to find that small piece of a grey ghost behind the brush.Like I said before........I dont own one but I will love to.In the mean time I'll keep hunting with what I have just like Casey..............hoping to find a muy grande. God bless.

Ernesto C

Over the last few years, we have been locating more and more bucks too far to really make out how big they are with the 15x binos. On one hunt in NM, we spent half a day getting close to some bucks to judge if we had a shooter or not. With a spotting scope, we no longer have to waste time manuvering for a closer look. This was the primary reason for me getting one.

Second, is the digi-scoping capabilities, they are really good for getting some nice pictures. I really enjoy taking pictures now of all the animals I can.

Third, is for the kids, when I spot animals with my binos, it is hard for them to look through, since they don't squeeze down enough. With the spotting scope, it is really easy for them to see the animals now.

Last reason, is because I'm starting to develop this pony keg on my mid section and thought an extra 10 pounds in the pack would help keep it at bay a little longer.

Here is an example of Ernesto's comments.

post-19-1153447761.jpg

There are two bedded bucks and a doe standing up. This was full 60x from my scope at around 650 yards. I was using my 15's and thought I saw movement but wasn't sure, was really easy to pick them out with the spotting scope.

I CANNOT FIND ANY OF THE DEER! it's drivin me nutts

ALRIGHT COUESELK, YOU'VE MADE YOUR POINT.......WHERE ARE THEY! :rolleyes: I'm pretty sure I remember this pic AND seeing the deer, but I can't find em' now. JIM>