Sign in to follow this  
jwhernandez

7mm mag

my grandfather gave me his 7mm i can put about 6or7 rounds through it then the shells start sticking and then get stuck after i clean the gun its good for another 6 or 7 iv tried several brands any know what might be causing this

They stick as in the bolt locks up and you cannot extract the round after firing?

yes sir after i fire them each time i can feel them sticking more and more till finally i have to push a rod down the barrel to get the shell out iv tried letting the barrel cool completely down between each shot thinking this was the problem but still happens

My cousins 270 would do the same thing he had a Remington model 770. I think he ended up sending it back to them. I don't completely remember if the action didn't match the bolt correctly and when it would expand it would lock the locking lugs in or something to that nature, or if it was an extractor problem. I don't think it's an easy fix though man takes some gunsmithing.

I had a similar issue with one of my rifles. had a smith polish the chamber and it fixed the issue...no more stuck cases.

Sounds like the chamber is too tight. It may have been cut to the minumum SAAMI spec. It could be corrected by adding a shim to the barrel but the best thing to do is to take it to a gun smith. He/she will take a chamber cast with a product called cerrosafe and from there determine how much to remove with a reamer.

Probably not super expensive but unless something can be done to the bolt, and that may be an alternative, I think you are going to have to ream the chamber a bit.

You might also want to have a gunsmith take a look at the extractor to see what kind of condition it is in. Too many hard extractions may have broken part of it off.

Another option is to call Remington and talk to their gunsmith department and explain the situation to them. They may repair it for just a shipping charge and since it is a family heirloom and they will test fire it when they do the repair.

Is it a factory rifle or does it have a custom barrel? Some guys ask for a tight chamber then turn the necks of their brass.

I had a similar issue with one of my rifles. had a smith polish the chamber and it fixed the issue...no more stuck cases.

+1 I had a similar experience with a 300 win mag that I had.

Yeah I have two 700's I really think Remington needs to retool their factories to produce closer blue printed rifles.

Yeah I have two 700's I really think Remington needs to retool their factories to produce closer blue printed rifles.

No offence but I have seen this happen with various American manufacturers. Were talking a rifle that has been around for a while and it's not like this is a common occurance.

No offense at all Predator, I am just speaking from experience. I, and my two buddies all have 700's, brand new from last year one is a xcr,sendero, and sps. They have all needed blue printing from our gunsmith. The slide inbetween the locking lug that slides the outside of the action was starting to chip away because there were screws in the action that needed to be tapped farther and skrewed in more. We were not very happy spending over 3k on rifles and spending a couple 100 each at the smith weeks later. I'm sure other companies need retooled too. I really like remington and will buy a lot more in the coming years but two out of the 3 I own had blueprint issues.