Sign in to follow this  
tomgobbler

WTB boy scout merit badge booklets

my son has just intered the boy scouts program and has started working on merit badges looking for any booklets that anyone might have lying around collecting dust, that your kids have outgrown and you no longer need. let me know what ya have and what you want for them

thanks

tommy

Tommy,

I commend you for getting your boy involved in scouting. It's the best thing out there for young men in my opinion. You should bookmark this website, http://www.scouting.org/. You will find the most current info for every merit badge there. Also, I would suggest that you take some of the adult training available on the site, specifically Youth protection and safe scouting just to get started. If you ever have any questions concerning scouting, feel free to shoot me a PM. I've been involved with scouting since I was 5 years old, so if I don't know the answer right away, I can tell you were to find it.

Jerry

• Like 1

jerry.

yea i've been in scouting awhile as well, ( i'm an eagle scout with all three palmes earned) .... i'm in charge of the 11 year olds.... my sone just finished his tenderfoot, second and first classes.... so now on to the funner stuff :) thanks for the offer, i might be getting ahold of ya if i need something .

thanks

tommy

jerry.

yea i've been in scouting awhile as well, ( i'm an eagle scout with all three palmes earned) .... i'm in charge of the 11 year olds.... my sone just finished his tenderfoot, second and first classes.... so now on to the funner stuff :) thanks for the offer, i might be getting ahold of ya if i need something .

thanks

tommy

+1 on Jerry's comments. I too am an Eagle Scout and now getting back into scouting as an adult leader with my son who is a Wolf Cub this year. Another great site is meritbadge.org

I remember having a copy of this book http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Boy_Scout_Requirements_book when I was in scouts as a boy and it was very handy. Had all the requirement for all merit badges at a glance. Not a replacement for the individual badge pamphlets, but nice to have the requirements all in one place. (although since then this cool thing called the internet came along and sites like meritbadge.org have everything in one place.) :D

i think there is an actual cub scout store here in phoenix where you can buy everything cub scout related i just don't remember where it was at.

Lefty- There are actually two scout shops in the valley. There is a small one in the east valley in the shops behind Bass Pro, and then the main scout shop is at the headquarters for Grand Canyon Council, which is at Thomas and SR51.

Big- The scout handbook should be something that all scouts have, as well as all scoutmasters and any assistant scoutmasters who will have anything to do with scoutmaster conferences, board of reviews or advancement of any kind.

Tommy- As for the really fun stuff, your son is still a few years away from being able to do Philmont or join a venture crew. You should have the troop look into a venture patrol. If you need any ideas on more adventurous programs at a troop level that can be used with younger boys, let me know and we can set up a time to talk and find out what the boys in your troop like. As for your son at this point, I would suggest you start talking to him about the O/A. He has to be elected in by the rest of the boys in the troop, but if you explain to him the joining requirements and what the O/A is all about, I am sure he will get stoked enough to help spread the word to those that could elect him. O/A elections are done once a year, and useually in the spring. You may want to ask the scoutmaster if they have been done yet this calender year. If they have not, you should ask your SM to schedule something with the local O/A chapter to get some elections done here soon. There are only 2 ordeals left this year. The first is next weekend, and then the last one for the year is in October.

If any of you, or anyone on here for that matter, ever has a question regarding the scouting movement(for both boys and girls, ages 5-21), by all means feel free to ask me a question anytime.

Jerry