I have a cam on a water hole that I have watched go from full to completely dry in the last 4 days. With no other water in the area, it is going to be tough to pattern the deer. I am thinking about setting up a DIY drinker and hauling some water. Any suggestions on set-ups? Pics welcome

Dont know the rules about DIY drinkers so this is a good subject that I look forward to see what others suggest! I do know that all the G&F drinkers in the desert that I have helped with go throuhg a long process involving a lot of defferent agencies. I have see some people us cement to create small dams to capture water from seeps!

No water, no deer. If there are deer in there, they are getting water somewhere. If I were you I would make it a priority to find where they are getting water.

have you contacted the WM to see if water can be hauled in

also going from full to empty in 4 days sounds like the tank has a hole - may have misinterpreted your comment

No water, no deer. If there are deer in there, they are getting water somewhere. If I were you I would make it a priority to find where they are getting water.

I should rephrase... There is obviously water in the area, but it is near some heavier traveled roads. This tank is off the beaten path and in a prime location. No holes, its a stock tank not cement. Just looking for some ideas for a small drinker near by.

This guy on Youtube shows how he does it in Arizona. Public Land. He doesn't go into the legality at all, and I don't know anything about it. He has a little business or website linked to himself, so I'm sure anyone could figure out who he is exactly.

Ok that makes sense. I think that guy with the video has a great idea there. Its nothing permanent and can be taken out at any time. I think you have your answer right there.

cool sytem he came up with! I doubt it's legal though? Doesn't the USFS not allow you to put out stuff like that? Plus you are having to drive your ATV off road (unless you set it up right near a road) to refill it and eventually your tire tracks will show and lead others right to it.

cool sytem he came up with! I doubt it's legal though? Doesn't the USFS not allow you to put out stuff like that? Plus you are having to drive your ATV off road (unless you set it up right near a road) to refill it and eventually your tire tracks will show and lead others right to it.

Good questions. Minus traveling offroad, this seems to be as low impact as possible on the environment! That said, the bugs and bunny people in the environmental protection agency would likely disagree and I assume USFS would say that you are littering by living the tank setup out there!

Well don't worry everyone.....your "protect you from all things good" government will be involved soon.....just wait.

For legality, take into consideration what is currently up on the Coconino National Forest home page:

NOTICE TO HUNTERS

• Parking or reserving camping locations by leaving trailers, motorhomes, tents and other property is prohibited. Property left on the forest unoccupied is considered abandon after 72 hours. Title 36 Code of Federal Regulation (CFR) 261.10(e)
  • Tree stands are permitted if they do not cause resource damage i.e. cutting limbs, putting nails and bolts into trees or any other permanent alteration/injury to trees or surrounding vegetation. Tree stands need to be removed after daily use. Tree stands left unoccupied for any extended period of time is prohibited. Title 36 CFR 261.9(a) and 262.13.
  • Currently there is no specific regulation regarding game cameras left in the forest. The FS does are not recommend leaving any property in the forest. Game cameras have been frequently reported stolen and after 72 hours they are considered abandon property.