bluedevil99

Sierra Vista Area

Anyone near the Sierra Vista area that would be willing to give someone new to the area some advice? I'm not looking for anyone's honey holes but a helping hand would be nice.

thanks in advance

I have never hunted that area, which hunt do you have? You can also call G&F (Tucson Office?) and ask to have the Wildlife Manager for that area to call you. That can sometimes take a week as they are usually in the field but it is worthwhile and sometimes you can arrange to meet them if you are out scouting for a weekend.

I'm also in the area. Have lived here most of my life. I myself haven't even stumbled on the the fabled honey hole but there are a lot of deer down here ripe for the pickin. They do seem to be spread out pretty evenly throughout the unit.

A couple of good places to start would be up any of the usual canyon accesses. Brown Canyon can occasionally be good, as can Hunter and Miller canyons. The backside of the Huachucas are where most probably spend there time as do I. On the backside again head up any of the canyons. A lot of folks like the Brushy Canyon area. The Canelo Hils are also very good however a lot of up and down hiking there. Coming down from Montezumas Pass the lowland areas are pretty decent however lots of thick stuff. I've seen lots of bucks and does and various other critters like javelina, and lions in these areas.

Wether just a run of bad luck or wrong place wrong time I haven't been able to bring home my first coues yet. Not for lack of trying. Too many hours to count of scouting and hiking and locating lots of bucks but their sure sneaky, or just too far out there to take an ethical shot for me.

I work and live here in the Sierra Vista area so if you bump into a new model Tundra sportin the Camo coueswhitetail.com sticker on the window give me a holler. Always up for talking deer. Either way good luck if your hunting this year. I'm hoping to finally fill my tag. Wife's starting to get a little upset with the amount of time I'm spending out there and not bringin home the bacon so to say.

I'm also in the area. Have lived here most of my life. I myself haven't even stumbled on the the fabled honey hole but there are a lot of deer down here ripe for the pickin. They do seem to be spread out pretty evenly throughout the unit.

A couple of good places to start would be up any of the usual canyon accesses. Brown Canyon can occasionally be good, as can Hunter and Miller canyons. The backside of the Huachucas are where most probably spend there time as do I. On the backside again head up any of the canyons. A lot of folks like the Brushy Canyon area. The Canelo Hils are also very good however a lot of up and down hiking there. Coming down from Montezumas Pass the lowland areas are pretty decent however lots of thick stuff. I've seen lots of bucks and does and various other critters like javelina, and lions in these areas.

Wether just a run of bad luck or wrong place wrong time I haven't been able to bring home my first coues yet. Not for lack of trying. Too many hours to count of scouting and hiking and locating lots of bucks but their sure sneaky, or just too far out there to take an ethical shot for me.

I work and live here in the Sierra Vista area so if you bump into a new model Tundra sportin the Camo coueswhitetail.com sticker on the window give me a holler. Always up for talking deer. Either way good luck if your hunting this year. I'm hoping to finally fill my tag. Wife's starting to get a little upset with the amount of time I'm spending out there and not bringin home the bacon so to say.

+1 on the deer are evenly spread out through the unit

I like the backside of the Huachucas more so then the front side but if you want something closer to town look at the Mustangs always deer in there, just a LOT of gates. Haha.

• Like 1

I like the backside of the Huachucas more so then the front side but if you want something closer to town look at the Mustangs always deer in there, just a LOT of gates. Haha.

Gates for sure, always have to glass for 5 minutes at each gate which means it takes me and hour to where I want to be

I was able to get my first coues last year in unit 35a, but MAN it was a hike. On hands and knees the whole way up but it was worth it. This a great area and I'm sure you will find your buck.