AZHUNTER05

Loop hole in dead animal removal for elk in coconino forest???

Well i was at my buddies house today talking about my up coming elk hunt in 5bn. I advised him because of the new law this year i can not use a motor vehicle to retrieve my downed elk. He then told me that i can use a motor vehicle to remove my downed elk but no other animal but elk! I disagreed with him because i have done my research, but he was positive i could. He then pulled out his reg's and showed me where it stated you COULD remove elk but no other animal!

Tell me what you guys think about this. It's on page 43, second paragraph on the top of the page. I'm still skeptical about it, but i may just keep a copy of the reg's in my truck and show it to the FS if i have a problem.

Another loop hole would be to buy a wood cutting permit. Keep a saw in your truck and when you go off road to cut some wood and make sure you cut a piece of wood pick up your elk along the way!!!!!!!! Just my 2 cents

i dont know how feasable or if it would work everywhere but how about a wood cutting permit? they do allow wood cutters to travel off road

just beat me :)

i dont know what youre reading or where the regs are posted but this map pretty much goes against what he is saying.

http://www.redrockco..._Alt3_11x17.pdf

Even on your link it says you can remove an elk with in 1 mile of a open forest rd. This is directly from the fish and game website. As i said before it's on page 43 in the reg's.

http://www.azgfd.gov/regs/mainregs.pdf

Motorized Big Game Retrieval on National Forest Lands

All national forests are undergoing or have recently completed travel

management planning, which will result in changes to motor vehicle

access on national forest lands. National forests that have made a decision implementing the Travel Management Rule (http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/ohv/final.pdf) only allow motorized use on designated roads, trails and areas as identified on a Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM). These maps are available for free at Forest Service offices.

In designating roads and trails, the new travel management rules include restrictions on driving off-road for game retrieval. The Coronado National Forest and Prescott National Forest have made a decision

implementing the new travel management rules and have released

MVUM maps; motorized big game retrieval off the designated system

is not allowed on either Forest. The Kaibab National Forest (Williams

and Tusayan Ranger Districts) and the Coconino National Forest have

also recently established new travel management rules and published

MVUMs. Both Forests do not allow for driving off-road for retrieval of

deer or other species besides elk.

Other national forests including the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests, Tonto National Forest, and the North Kaibab Ranger District of

the Kaibab National Forest are engaged in travel management planning and have not yet issued decisions. Many of these forests may issue travel management decisions prior to the 2013 hunting season. If

you have a permit to hunt in a Game Management Unit that includes

one or more national forests, please contact the appropriate national

forests(s) for updated information relative to motor vehicle use and

motorized big game retrieval.

thanks for posting the regs cause i didnt know where to find them. im actually tired of all these new rules in that unit (i also am hunting in 5b). in the map i posted i would read that it is explaining the areas marked in green. i can see how you can read that first part and use that but i am sure it isnt that way. i guess its how you read it but more importantly i ts how THEY read it. what a headache.

In this case Coconino is federal, AZGFD is state, usually federal law supersedes state. The AZGFD is a wildlife managment agency that has little to no control over a Land managment agency.

Ditto on federal law superseding state law. I would not advise using a motor vehicle to retrieve your elk on the Coconino unless you are in an area designated to allow off-road recovery of elk per the Coconino NF map.

you are allowed to go for elk, but only elk, 1 mile in only! I will use this, with out any fear. I have talked to rangers up in 9, and they stated the same thing.

take me to court then. I will use aid if needed to retrieve an elk in 6a.

Dont blame you. Its far to warm to be messing around trying to pack an animal out the size of an elk, especially if you can get a vehicle to it.

take me to court then. I will use aid if needed to retrieve an elk in 6a.

I'm used to carrying them big elk out. id love to help a fellow Munds Park hunter.