1uglydude

Where to buy used or rebuilt engine for 1988 Toyota 4x4?

Anyone have any recommendations on where I can go to buy a used or rebuilt 22RE engine for a 1988 Toyota 4x4? Something in the east valley would make it much easier for me. Everyone keeps telling me how easy they are to come by, but I'm not finding that to be the case.

I just saw one on Craigslist. You gotta really jump on them when they come up since they go QUICK! I'll keep an eye out for you too, as well as ask around to some yota buddies.

TCR Automotive. Tim is the owner and he does the work.

8140 E 22nd St # 140 Tucson, AZ 85710

(520) 747-0563

I had a 1986 4Runner. Had Tim put a new engine in it. It was several years ago. And I know it was under $4,000. This guy was the best Toyota mechanic hands down. He builds bad a... Toyota motors. Give him a call. After I had the engine put in. My starter went out. I called him. He put in a toyota starter out of a totaled out truck he bought for parts. Didn't charge me anything. I know it's not close to you. But he's worth it.

Not sure if this helps or not. Good Luck.

Had my 1988 Toyota 4x4 engine rebuilt in downtown Phoenix, but they screwed it up. Wishing I had put a crate motor in after that. Took a while to get everything right again. Was a HUGE waste of money in the end.

This is your truck. I'm the one that bought it.

Yeah, it ran great for a couple thousand miles. Hoping to get it back to that point again. It has been parked for 10 months now. I found a rebuild with a year long warranty that I feel good about.

I put one in from http://www.enginesus...ta&engineid=161 in my Aunts Toyota. With shipping, new clutch, water pump, belts,sparkplugs and timing chain front cover. You need to check the timing chain cover to make sure the chain has not cut into the water jacket. This is common for the engine and will allow water to get into the oil and burn up the engine. That's what was wrong with my Aunts engine and I just move it to from the old engine to the new one. After puting everything back in and it was running grate for about 30 min i shut it down and checked the oil it was 4 quarts high on the dipstick and milky. After a lot of beep,beep,beep words I called Bob at Enginesus and he asked if I put a new timing chain cover on or used the old one. After putting a new one on from Rockauto.com and flushing the oil 2 times to get the water out. I did it for $1700 total

Anyone have any recommendations on where I can go to buy a used or rebuilt 22RE engine for a 1988 Toyota 4x4? Something in the east valley would make it much easier for me. Everyone keeps telling me how easy they are to come by, but I'm not finding that to be the case.

DO NOT GO TO "FIVE STAR ENGINES" OF GLENDALE AZ THEY ARE RIPP OFFS!

DO NOT GO TO "FIVE STAR ENGINES" OF GLENDALE AZ THEY ARE RIPP OFFS!

Good to know, thanks. They're all over Craigslist, but I didn't end up using them.

Engine house in Phoenix builds great engines. Talk to terry or randy and they'll take care of you! I worked 4.5 years with them as an account manager. Best engines in Az

You need to check the timing chain cover to make sure the chain has not cut into the water jacket. This is common for the engine and will allow water to get into the oil and burn up the engine.

Bingo. My guy says the cover was completely shot and that it was obvious that when prior rebuilds were done they tried to just modify it instead of buying a new one. That would explain why it never seemed to run right.

A new cover adds $150 to the job, but we should be good now. Rebuilt engine with new timing cover, new radiator, and new water pump...hoping it gets me through a few years. Now I need to start shopping for tires, lots of tread left on the BFGs, but they're old enough that they're starting to rot.