jmwarren65

It's called Hunting, not Shooting for a reason....

...and that reason is why I did not fill my muzzle loader tag in 15A/A5B. Opening morning I blew my stalk on a decent buck. At 250 yards out, the does spotted me and took off. I watched this group all day Friday but couldn't get closer than half a mile before they would move.

On Saturday, I was staring at a much larger buck at 80 yards. Problem...he was standing 80 yards in the wrong unit. We had a staring contest for 5 minutes when I realized I should get a picture. By the time I got my cell phone camera up, he was moving away. I am attaching the one decent photo I have of this buck. It is grainy. The next day I found him in the same spot, still on the wrong side of the road. On Sunday, I watched another decent buck within my unit, but in the middle of a large tract of land clearly posted no trespassing and no hunting. That buck knew he was safe and had no intention of leaving his shade.

One thing I learned on this hunt, look under the trees for the antelope. They seemed to like to hang out in the shade. Very seldom did I find them out in the open.

On Saturday, I met the holder of tag #1. He headed home that afternoon empty handed. I had planned on hunting 5 days, but had to cancel the last two to return to work on Monday. That was more disappointing than not filling my tag.

Still glad I had the tag and believe if I could have stayed the full 5 planned days, I would have been successful.

If I don't get drawn next year, I think a trip to Wyoming is in order.

post-8100-0-33303700-1348382103.jpg

My hat is off to you, sir.

You followed the letter of the law and proved that ethics trump compromise when no one else was looking. Your actions are to be commended.

Wow, what a great story of effort, temptation and doing the right thing. That’s a great story to be able to pass on young hunters and to share around camp fires for years to come. My you be rewarded with a Wyoming antelope!

It goes to show you don't have to kill to have a good story. Sorry to hear you didn't kill but sounds like things just didn't go your way this time. Been there done that many times but it's all about doing the right and ethical things when no one is around. Thanks for sharing and the huntin gods will be kinder to you next time I'm sure. Good things come to those who deserve them. Good luck next year and I look forward to reading another one of your stories.

TJ

jmwarren - nice story. My tag went unfilled too, which is not unusual for me. This one stung though. I also had work and home commitments offering challenges. Lots of friends pitched in, and I learned a ton. I was feeling pretty down yesterday about it all, but your post reminded me to focus on the positives.

jmwarren65,

Sorry to hear both of you blanked last year. I have the same tag as you, only the 2013 model. My first antelope hunt although I'm a bit older than you. I noticed that in passed years this unit has some 0%'s but it is more likely to have 100%'s. That's what I must have been looking at when I put in. Or maybe I put in because I live in Kingman and it is my closest unit. ;-) I will probably have the opportunity to do lots of scouting and will be able to hunt the whole hunt (except I don't hunt Sunday's). Still, if there are any pointers, locations(!) or words of wisdom you may want to share I would be extremely grateful. I can't afford a trip to Wyoming so this may be my only antelope hunt. I want to be totally prepared. I've already started the scouting the Peacocks.

I'm thinkin' maybe you could have used a huntin' buddy to influence the game in your direction. Thoughts?

Did you see any rutting activity during the hunt or was that over?

If you want to PM me, that's cool or call me, but I don't know how to get you my info. Or just post it here.

Also, if the holder of the other tag for this unit, 15A/B muzzleloader 2013, reads this, I am willing to cooperate and share info. Please contact me.

Thanks!!!

Dantelope I also live in kingman however I dont have the tag. I have glassed the lopes in the unit some and would be willing to help out if you want a tag along.