Sign in to follow this  
oz31p

Calling for fall bears?

I was wondering if anyone have any experience calling fall bears. I've heard calling is a productive method I have not heard about calling during the October 5 through December 31 season

I called one in last year. 30-45 minute sets, call non stop, or no longer than 30 second breaks because they will lose interest. Cub distress or any rabbit or loud pitiful call will work. Steep canyons where water is flowing is a good place to call. The bear came in close and it was one very exciting! Good luck!

I called one in last year. 30-45 minute sets, call non stop, or no longer than 30 second breaks because they will lose interest. Cub distress or any rabbit or loud pitiful call will work. Steep canyons where water is flowing is a good place to call. The bear came in close and it was one very exciting! Good luck!

Very good advice. October is a prime acorn production month in areas around 5,000-6,000 feet in elevation. If you have a rough canyon with plenty of oaks and a water source in it, you will likely have bear feeding there. They tend to drink more frequently when consuming oaks, and will sometimes water two or more times in a single feeding. With scouting, one can pattern where a bear is eating and drinking and set up along its travel routes, just like any other predictable animal, and harvest it from a blind, or set up to call from a nearby location with an elevated vantage point or a solid backdrop for your own protection. I have called in bears before in October, but it has never been as productive for me as the month of August. Sometimes they are so engrossed with eating a stellar crop of acorns that they could care less about wasting valuable energy to chase down a wounded animal and finish it off when the calories hanging in front of them are such easy pickings! On the other hand, you could call in a bear that wants the extra meat over mast calories that will stop at almost nothing to get them! And that is the RUSH associated with the unpredictability of calling bear. That being said, a bear cannot respond to your call if it is not there to hear it in the first place. So do your scouting in the proper places, find fresh sign, and call away with any wailing noise maker to your heart's content. And don't give up if nothing comes in after an hour. Move further into your canyon and try it again. I've had several bears come in on my second stand, that likely were already coming in on my first stand, but simply needed more time to get there. After two blanked stands in the same general area, I am gone and moving to another location.

P.S. I have yet to call in a bear in November or December.

• Like 1

Remember bears are pretty lazy, they will eat whatever is easiest. If acorns are thick then bears will likely be harder to call. Water is a very good way to get them during October. Check for tracks on tanks, springs,ect. If there is fresh tracks you in business. Like mentioned earlier they will visit water more trying to digest all the acorns they are eating. good liuck

You bet you can call them in October. Called my borthers bear in for him the first week in october last year. I used a Javalina call. They work great. My turn come the 5th.

Thanks for the info guys I am getting really excited I will be going out for my first time with some very experienced bear hunters Glassing and spot in stock I was thinking after the first trip I could branch out alone And try to do some calling. I am going stir crazy because I Killed a deer opening day of archery season I donated my rifle tag And the next time I get to help on Is a late cow tag. I've been out calling coyotes but it is still too hot to scratch the itch.

Thanks for the info guys I am getting really excited I will be going out for my first time with some very experienced bear hunters Glassing and spot in stock I was thinking after the first trip I could branch out alone And try to do some calling. I am going stir crazy because I Killed a deer opening day of archery season I donated my rifle tag And the next time I get to help on Is a late cow tag. I've been out calling coyotes but it is still too hot to scratch the itch.

You have to really be careful when calling for bear alone. In particular, you need to watch your back for lions. They can sneak in without a sound and scare the heck out of you, as well as pose a safety risk. When calling alone, my sidearm is chambered, off of safety, and sitting on my lap. You also need to watch for rattlesnakes and keep the foxes from coming in too close. Good luck! Tell us about your calling adventures!

Kidso is right on track,called my first bear in on San Carlos in 1976.The foxes there will keep you plenty alert.They have scared me so bad,when calling by mysef,I didn,t know if I had a rifle or a stick setting on my lap.Also remember,it's the quanity of sound, not quality.Call as much as you can.

I will have a tag in each pocket and a gun in each hand. I will be using a fox pro so atleast if any thing sneaks into the sound it will be away grom me. Im pretty exited. If for nothing else than to get out in the hills.

+1 to being careful. My cousin shot a mt lion while varmit calling at it was only 15 ft from him....he never heard it. I'll try to get the pic from him and post it up.

Its best to be with someone (not that you don't already know that) besides you can have someone to share the experience with.

Hey Kidso (not to hijack the thread) but what call do you use...or do you use one at all?

I use about 4 different hand calls and mix them up during a stand. I use an open reed Tally-Ho, a closed reed T-Rex, and another open and closed reed model that I have long forgotten the maker. I've called bears using all four independently, but enjoy mixing it up a bit, especially for long distances versus short distances.

Thanks for the info. I have to call one into a varmit call. maybe I am doing something wrong. I appreciate the help