azffhunter

.270 Effective Range

Ok...paper results are in!

200 yard 2.5" group

300 yard 3" group

400 yard just outside 5.5" group

500 yard 8" group

All shooting from the prone position with rifle resting on my pack to simulate hunting conditions. Only shot 3 rounds per group using Federal 130 grain soft point. I was pretty happy with that, but still not confident enough to shoot at an animal at 500 yards. For now I think I'll stay under 400...leaning more towards 300 as possible (of course 100 yards would be pretty nice too!).

All I know is there are a TON of folks out there in the hunting community that need to take notice and follow in your footsteps! Kudos to you for practicing and making a solid effort into knowing what your limitations and capabilities are with your weapon! You deserve the biggest buck on the mountain and I sincerely hope we get to read the story about it here on CWT.com! Best of luck to you! JIM>

• Like 1

With a solid rest (and some practice LOL) that 500 yard group should tighten up a bit but the rest are good to go.

+1 if you shoot ballistic tips such as Accubonds, Sciroccos, TTSX, Win Xp3's, Bergers, anything really with a boat tail will tighten those groups up azffhunter.

Accubonds, Sciroccos, TTSX, XP3's and Bergers are NOT ballistic tips. All but Berger have a polymer tip but are not anywhere near a ballistic tip. I think you meant basically of boat tail design like you said in the end of your sentence, right?

I'm shooting the 150 grain Berger VLD out of my .270, 57.8 grains of RL 22, 2950 fps. I'm getting 3 shots touching each other at 100 yards, and sub 2 inch groups at 300. It works well for me.

Good job on working up an effective load for your rifle and then taking the time to get out and shoot to find out what your limitations are. Good luck on your hunt!

With a solid rest (and some practice LOL) that 500 yard group should tighten up a bit but the rest are good to go.

+1 if you shoot ballistic tips such as Accubonds, Sciroccos, TTSX, Win Xp3's, Bergers, anything really with a boat tail will tighten those groups up azffhunter.

Accubonds, Sciroccos, TTSX, XP3's and Bergers are NOT ballistic tips. All but Berger have a polymer tip but are not anywhere near a ballistic tip. I think you meant basically of boat tail design like you said in the end of your sentence, right?

Indeed all except berger are ballisitc tips,and have boattails,point taken away from this is shoot bullets with high ballisitc coefficients.

Just a question while were on the subject. Who determined 1000 ft./lbs or whatever is what it takes to kill a deer sized game? Is that what it takes to cause a bullet to expand properly?

Archery hunters routinely take animals with 40-60 ft/lbs. I understand that the 2 devices kill differently and that more power is better.

Just a question.

Don't know who decides what a human range for rifle loads are legally, but between the rifle and archery the difference lies in the projectile. The typical arrow can be more than 6 to 10 times heavier than the bullet. That's why arrows can kill humanly with less speed than the rifle, the rifle bullet needs to be going faster to gain the momentum necessary to make the same kill.