D.F.M.

porcupine plant

Was out scouting 34a doing some hiking and glassing ran into a plant by the time I got back to the truck must of had at least a couple of hundred what looked liked porcupine quills in my pant legs. Have never ran into this plant or problem before.Are these things around during the season? Going to pick up some chaps of some sort suggest everyone else do the same .This plant sucks

Yes they're around all year. I just walk around them. I once dropped a deer and it landed in catclaw. Thats stuff sucks!!

yeah shin daggers suck. There's tons of it where I hunt Javi's

Those plants are terrible!!! Stick to every thing. Also those little mini yucca things over in 34b suck. Gators are a must because if those little buggers

I hate it when all of a sudden your in a field of them trying to find the easiest way out. <_<

I hate it when all of a sudden your in a field of them trying to find the easiest way out. <_<

From my experience, there isn't an easiest way out ! :blink:

• Like 1

I've had a few shin daggers go to the bone. That SUCKS! But, thats part of hunting in the desert, everything wants a piece of your flesh!

while we're on the subject... does anyone else's wounds burn bad after you get stuck or am I just allergic to plant-based puncture wounds???

Were they small black quills? We call those "Spanish needles" (don't know if its right or not)...my daughter walked through a patch of them last weekend and yelled, "Daddy help...my pants...I look like a porcupine....." The flowers they come from are pretty, but when I see them during the summer I know what's gonna be waiting for me in the fall.....

Ya in they sting and sometimes itch for a little while. But dont scrath them! It will just last longer (burn and itch).

o boy.. i remember when i took my wife with me.. and we walked thru the same thing.. I just don't want to remember... it's was awfull specially for her.. They are all over the place in 34A....

Those are the WORST if you wear tall socks and shorts...No no no, im not talking gangster style, I'm talking change into shorts at camp and wear either tennis shoes or the hunting boots and walk off to take a piss.... That does not turn out well, especially if the boots are open/un laced.

I have probably seen one but can somebody post a picture or link to what it looks like. I have never heard of a called that before.