Sign in to follow this  
prowlerMan

Bad Bullets?

I went out with my buddy to help him sight his gun in and he was not getting anything close to what I would call a group. Upon closer inspection of the bullets he bought, we noticed that a couple of the cases had serious defects and two of the bullets he fired the primers completely popped out of the cases (which you can see behind the bullets with defects in the picture). He also commented after the first couple shots that the recoil was more than normal too. My initial thought was that they were bad bullets but I have never come across anything like this before. Have any of you seen this happen in factory ammo before or could it be a issue with the gun? Thanks for any input.

post-4451-0-53704700-1350253787_thumb.jpg

Thats not good. I would send a letter to Winchester with pictures. Probably get a free box(es) of new ammo.

Tell your buddy DO NOT shoot any more of those bullets! He has two blown primers and on those case heads there is shiney marks from being slammed into the ejector, my bet that the bolt was hard to open also. It's all from too much pressure. One of my buds had the same thing happen to him about 20 years ago and he sent the bullets back and got a free box. A rifles action can take so much pressure and that one has reached it's limit or close to it, bad things happen when they do!

My son had a similar problem, but before we figured it out, it broke a spring in his bolt. Contact Winchester they will want to take care of you.

There has been multiple ammunition recalls as of late send it back and get some new stuff those are definitely way to hot and poorly made to boot.

I have had that with a box of Remington core-lok in 30-30 I still have the ammo never fired it from like 8 years ago. But you don't understand what I really think about Remington stuff. I'd just rather not deal with them over 20 bucks