Sign in to follow this  
Big Browns

Suggestions on which long range gun to buy

I agree that is not much practice. I fear however that most hunters do not spend the time needed at the range regardless of caliber. That being said I spend at least one day a week at the range practicing with various rifles. I tend to look at things in the long run and consider barrel change as scheduled maintenance as 300 bucks for a new barrel is not all that costly considering what it costs to feed them these days.

What type of barrel are you running on the 6.5? We are running almost identical loads and I have right around 400 rounds down mine with no noticeable accuracy loss or throat erosion. I used mine to take my deer this year but generally use it in match duty firing 15 shot strings. I am using a criterion barrel.

Running a 3 groove Lilja 8x 27.25".

Criterion? Are those bores chrome lined? How's the accuracy and clean up. Been looking at those recently. Also been looking at Schneider barrels.

Gunsmithing is expensive up here. 450 bucks for a chamber, fit, crown and bead blast. At least by a good smith you can trust. Add flutes and it costs me 900 bucks for a rebarrel. Then range time which I don't mind but I would rather be focusing on practice at LR shooting instead of breaking in barrels, sighting and developing loads. Again, I love my 6.5 but at the pace I like to shoot just doesn't work too well for me.

Let me know about the criterion barrels in a pm if you want so we can quit hijacking this thread.

Running a 3 groove Lilja 8x 27.25".

Criterion? Are those bores chrome lined? How's the accuracy and clean up. Been looking at those recently. Also been looking at Schneider barrels.

Gunsmithing is expensive up here. 450 bucks for a chamber, fit, crown and bead blast. At least by a good smith you can trust. Add flutes and it costs me 900 bucks for a rebarrel. Then range time which I don't mind but I would rather be focusing on practice at LR shooting instead of breaking in barrels, sighting and developing loads. Again, I love my 6.5 but at the pace I like to shoot just doesn't work too well for me.

Let me know about the criterion barrels in a pm if you want so we can quit hijacking this thread.

The are the same parent company as krieger, but the are a button rifled vs. cut.

Correct. They are the button rifled division of Krieger excellent barrels at a great price by far the most accurate barrels I own. I run savages so my rebarrels are cheap and easy. No paying smiths for me.