Sign in to follow this  
AZ8

Rough quail start

Hey there! Just wondering how everyone is doing a month now into the season.

It's been tough for us to say the least. I don't know if the unusual heat here at the end of the month is affecting their early season patterns, but we just aren't finding much. It's clear our area suffered a poor hatch and/or recruitment. The few birds we're seeing and bagging are older, skittish birds. The usual numbers just aren't there.

Anyways, just wondering if this is what you guys are seeing or simply bad luck for us this year? Our backup spot is even worse!

Been hunting quail for 30+ years and this is as tough as I can remember.

So, what are you guys experiencing?

Thanks.

Guest akaspecials

I haven't harvested nearly as many birds as I'd like to. I've been averaging 2 birds for every hour in the field. Only been skunked once. It seems like a mediocre year at all my spots. Coveys seem small, they aren't vocal, and most coveys are flushing just out of range. I even switched to a full choke for the first time in years! Pretty much all my hunts except one have been evening hunts after work within 30 minutes of Tempe though.

For more quail hunting information and a general overview of Arizona's bird hunting, check out http://www.azquailtoday.com. Also on the website you'll find a very versatile bird hunting vest manufactured right here in the state of Arizona.

Reports that I've been hearing and with my own time in the field, it seems to be another year of spotty hunting. A few areas I've found have up to 75% juvenile birds which does indicate a pretty good hatch, but in other areas juveniles are about 30%.