newbee

packs/ gear.

I was wondering , does any one here do serious "back country" hunting ? and if so what gear have you grown to rely on??i.e. packs, bivey covers, water filtration systems, boots -etc. what brings home the venison for you??

;) just a thought

I purchased a pair of Danar (Pronghorns) this year. For walking in all type of terrains these boots are great. They even work great pulling muleskinners mules around.

I purchased a pair of Danar (Pronghorns) this year. For walking in all type of terrains these boots are great. They even work great pulling muleskinners mules around.

I'm a big Danner fan. I bought a pair of their Hood Mt. Lights a couple years back before a coues hunt in 33. I might have worn them for an hour before the hunt, so I took my old pair of Rocky's just in case. We hunted our butts off and I had no problems at all - wore the Danners the whole time without even a slight problem. I've heard the pronghorns are great as well. Up here in Washington, we hunt in a lot of rain and snow - the gore-tex liner sure comes in handy. One thing to consider - down there in AZ, the vibram sole (like on my boots) is probably best for traction on rocky terrain. Up here in the rain, snow and mud, the "bob" sole is better because it doesn't collect the snow and mud.

I love the Danner's TFX hunter light boots and I really like the Camelback Commander pack. Holds 100oz water and has lots of carrying space. Has a place for a tripod, and 2 really convenient compartments attached to the belt strap for easy access.

Kifaru LongHunter pack

HanWag Alaska GTX boots

Garmin Etrex GPS

Marmot Helium sleeping bag

Outdoor Research Bivy

Swarovski Optics

Outdoorsmans tripod

DURAMAX DIESEL

COLEMAN ICECHEST

BUDLIGHT

PARIS HILTON (AT NIGHT)

GREEN CHILI BURRITO

AND A LITTLE COUNTRY MUSIC FOR THE RIDE

AND IF THE KILL GOES GOOD (A LITTLE JIM BEAM)

DURAMAX DIESEL

COLEMAN ICECHEST

BUDLIGHT

PARIS HILTON (AT NIGHT)

GREEN CHILI BURRITO

Thats what I call camping......... ;)

H4H, you'd be better off with just the Hilton part and forget about Paris. She has taken a vow of celabacy for the next year and you could certainly have a better conversation with yourself, after the Budlight ;)

Newbee,

Last year I tested my out my Backpacking skills while shed hunting. The pack I was using was a REI brand internal frame that holds plenty of gear and then some, my bro also had an internal frame pack LOWE brand. We went on a two night camp-out/adventure.

My gear consisted of : Danner Lights (boots) they did outstanding. Our tent basically consisted of a 8'X12' tarps (2) purhased at Wally world for about $5. We strung up the tarps with P-cord, cut supports and anchored them down with rocks. Our main focus was to cut down on any amount of weight, since we would be bringing elk sheds back out of the Canyon. We were fortunate that a little stream (snow-run-off) was near-by. We filtered water using MSR ceramic filtration system. Its a little slow pumping water for the both of us, but we survived. The hand pump takes about 5-6 minutes to fill two NALGENE 32oz bottles. For food we bought every we needed at Safeway. Tuna packs for our lunches, Saltines, Instant chicken noodles (dehydrated), Energy bars (Clifbars,TigersMilk peanutbutter) and etc.... We boiled water with a little one burner B-packing stove(COLEMAN) each of us carried one small bottle of fuel for the trip. I also brought some packets of EMER-GEN-C energy mix along. It was a life saver after long days out in field and at nite when legs started cramping-up. The sports drink mix is an electrolyte. We definetly were in need of Salt/Potassium. We both headed out on the final day with 3 sets brownies and a couple of singles. With campgear/water/food, I had started with ~32lbs. Final hike day out ~85lbs with sheds. To say the least we were hurtN the next two days. But its all good.

Don't get caught up in all these new fangled gear out there. Keep it KISS......dude :unsure: .

I think the Paris Hilton idea would be great! If we could just put some antlers on her.....

I think the Paris Hilton idea would be great! If we could just put some antlers on her.....

You don't like the rack she has? :lol:

Guest JOM
DURAMAX DIESEL

COLEMAN ICECHEST

BUDLIGHT

PARIS HILTON (AT NIGHT)

GREEN CHILI BURRITO

Its not camping if you trade in the DURAMAX for muleskinners pack string.