Sign in to follow this  
4Falls

Unit 8 November Archery

Well, after 2 days of windy cold weather the elk started hitting water Sunday night for me. A couple close calls and one bone head move later (shot low in the blind window and nose dived an arrow under a nice bull last night) I pulled the release on a spike at 20 this evening. Good clean shot, and he's hanging now. Fun hunt, and good to have elk in the freezer, and few days off work still. Good luck to everyone who is still out.

Nice to hear Slummin. Share the tale with us. I know that the next week will be a grind until we can hit the field.

Congrats Slummin!

I was covered up in elk last night. So many in fact that they were moving around and changing positions so often that I drew and let down 5 times. On the last draw I felt a sharp pain in my shoulder. Sucks getting old. Well around 730 pm the elk left and I headed back to the truck. Defeated.

Back in the same spot again this morning. Since its cold I decide to take a couple of practice draws just to get limbered up (again, sucks getting old).

To my dismay I cannot get my bow to full draw. Then I look out of the blind and theres a spike, Holy crap!!! Im in the blind tugging an pulling on my bow while he leisurely drinks just 45 yds away. After 10 attempts at me drawing to no avail, the spike leaves. So I came home, turned the bow down to a weight where I can draw it without wincing in pain and am sighting it back in to get back out there this evening. Man I love elk hunting!

Jeff,

Keep after it! prehunt heating pad and anti-inflammatory seems in order. If it was easy everyone would do it!

Garron

Ok here is the story behind my kill. Seemed like I was constantly surrounded by deer at almost all hours of the day. The herd of about 10 deer came in and camped out right in front of my blind the little guys were running around but I always had eyes on me. I was feeling the nerves as it was getting close to when I expected elk and about that time I could here breathing just behind me. The spike came in solo and went to work running all the deer off which was pretty entertaining. As soon as he finished that task he seemed super proud of himself and began running around in and out of the water and back and forth on the tank at about 60 yards. It reminded me of watching a horse when they get all excited, jumping, grunting and prancing around. He swung around at a full run and planted himself slightly quartered toward me at 20 yards. I drew without notice and got a good lung shot on him. He flinched back and sombered off about 50 yards and went lights out. My first archery elk and the family is happy to have me home for the holiday. All in all I couldnt have asked for a better hunt.

Day 8 almost gone.

So I was able to convince my wife that elk hunting was more important this year than going to the inlaws for thanksgiving.

Havnt seen an elk since .

You will get on them again. I know for a fact the elk were back in where I told you I was hanging out as of Wednesday night. If you get bored you could check it out, but I say stay persistent where you had been seeing them.

Jeff yer killin me!! Gettin old my ace! If you didn't have your bow at 83 lbs to show everyone how tough n manly you are you wouldn't be having this problem. People of your grey haired old age should be shooting no more than 55lbs. Just ask graybeard.....