Sign in to follow this  
apache12

barrel life for non magnum?

ive been looking for a 243 rifle and found one in Rem 700 BDL with a Leupold vxi 3x9x40 for a fair price. crown still nice a blue chamber looks good. guy said has about 700 rounds through over 6 or 7 years, factory loads.

I have no idea how long a barrel last and I suppose there's a number of factors, but just based on that info does it seem like it would still have long life? any way to inspect?

Thanks

It should still have a long life ahead of it depending on how it was treated.

• Like 1

I have a bud that has been through many 6mm barrels, he says the average life is about 1600 rounds, but that is for a competitive rifle. If you are not shooting out to 1000 yards with it, I would say that your kids will be shooting that gun too. Most barrels are ruined by improper cleaning than shooting. A bore scope would let you know how worn it is.

yep 6mm barrel should last a long time unless it is a wildcat round pushing larger bullets at +3000 fps. If the price is right buy it you can also rebarrel one for not that much if you decide to upgrade to a match quality barrel.

• Like 1

It should last several thousand rounds, but if he gets to 1,200-1,500, he is likely to see some throat erosion in a .243. May or may not affect accuracy, depending on how anal he is about group sizes.

I dont know for sure but my dad shoots a remington 700(270) he got in 1974 or so shoots real good still I shoot rem 700 .270 I have put 700 or so rounds thru it I still get 1" or less groups with it

I've seen alot of 243's get shot out in one weekend in a prairie dog town , and that goes for AR-15s in 223 as well . After viewing many barrels through a bore scope , long barrel life is waiting a few minutes between shots and letting the rifle cool or owning several rifles and switching off between cooling periods if you shoot it a lot in one sitting . Hence a great little reason to tell the wife you need two or three rifles at least :D !! The 243 is particulary one of the worse because of it's 20 degree shoulder and the amount of powder that the case holds vs. the bore diameter .