got a friend with a 10 muley tag. what should he expect and what should he avoid?

Expect few deer, and fewer bucks. Lots of Elk!!!

Sorry for the bad news, it will be a tough hunt.

I live and work in 10. The herds have yet to recover.

TOUGH hunt!! Lots of people, every year someone postes a buck from or near devil dog road but there's TONS of people camped out there during the season. Best chance is to get away from the crowd...seriously

THAT HUNT SUCKS! Thats all I have to say about that........ :blink: .......I'm serious. I do know that you stand a better chance at seeing a buck by the Devil Dog road but a better chance closer to Williams. Behind the golf course is a good place to possibly find some little bucks, but lots of poeple. I avoid that hunt like the plague! There are some bruisers in the unit, BUT they are absolutely a needle in the haystack! There is a couple spots way up north where it's possible to glass bucks, but getting on one and killing it, is a different story in thick cedars! I'll talk to you later Shortypants,....... JIM>

Other areas in Unit 10 also hold mule deer, but population densities are generally low and hunting will be more difficult. uh yep there are no deer in Unit 10 ( like he couldn't go on the Az game and fish website).

Get real.

AzP&Y

Thanks guys. I figured it was a tough hunt, that's why I've never even thought of putting in for it. (or was it that there just aint enough cooz up there?

Good news is, anyone with this tag will now be in the areas that everyone so freely blurts out on this public post. Have fun hunting shoulder to shoulder, and lets hear some more exact locations.

Excellent point Muleybull!

Here Here! I,ve been crying wolf on this forum for years. If you guys wanna help somebody, give them a personal e-mail. That way everybody with a tag for this difficult unit - that reads this forum - won't end up in the same place.

Common sense, folks.

Mike

Look on the map, what's the most popular grape juice name brand. that's a really big clue. don't be surprised if you find some wild donkeys, rock quarries, but no deer. Those deer are spread out and hard to find when they are not rutting. Try doin a drive with at least 4 other hunters, the more the better, if you don't know how to drive deer use the map and plot your courses as to move the deer out in front of you something like quail. Don't shoot each other. Those deer will push out like some quail when you find emm. definetly wear snake gaters going scouting during the early bow season. If you go then you can watch how the deer react to pressure and how they move when you put a drive on emm. I think the cougars know where the deer are at, hint hint. And a big buck always know's where the cougars are too don't be fooled. Don't end up in a canyon after dark. Don't get bitten by a rattler. Prey every night for god to give you a mature buck and safely guide you and remember your in the wild, and things can get to wild for you really quick in that country, always carry a dependable sidearm and be prepared for armageddon. By the way, that means take clotheing that will allow you to survive through a freezing rain and long cold night. Always keep that gun loaded anytime you venture into the home of wild animals. Drive slow, you never know.

Good news is, anyone with this tag will now be in the areas that everyone so freely blurts out on this public post. Have fun hunting shoulder to shoulder, and lets hear some more exact locations.

Excellent point Muleybull!

Here Here! I,ve been crying wolf on this forum for years. If you guys wanna help somebody, give them a personal e-mail. That way everybody with a tag for this difficult unit - that reads this forum - won't end up in the same place.

Common sense, folks.

Mike

I will take that as pretty much aimed at me on this one! I apologize if hunting behind the golf course or on Devil Dog happens to be your hotspot, and with the incredible size of the unit in mind, saying that there is some vantage points on the north end, is in my mind, pretty darn vague! Again, I apologize if that whole north end was your hotspot....you might be crammed in with a couple more poeple now, sorry!

Most poeple on this site that know me, know that I love to help out anyway I can, and I do, and if it is about a certain area, it definitely goes through the privacy of a PM. I honestly felt I wasn't giving away anyones "honey-hole", if I did, I sincerely apologize, but what I said was my way of being vague yet still helpfull, and as always it is only my $.02 and should only be taken as such! Thanks, JIM>

i thought coosefan was being vague...if thats a honey hole then its a pretty vague one at that...we dont need tempers flaring <_< ...like on azod awhile back there was the azlawyer guy and i forget the other people but they were going at it hardcore like those pics in the the for adults only brokeback thread...pics of the elk, dogs and deer :lol: ...it was humorous to read these guys going at it on something about bringing complaints of the azgfd to the governor, they really got into it...anyways ... we are all part of a big family...from coosefans apology i think it sounds very sincere to me...now we all know to send p.m's lessons learned

Nothin was aimed at nobody.

Muleybull brought up a good point and I reinforced it.

In the history of this site many deer pockets have been exposed, and in my opinion it is just plain wrong.

Why deprive someone the glorious pleasure of busting their own butt and finding good hunting spots for themselves?

Hunting is not about the kill, it's about the hunting.

But if you just gotta let someone know how smart you are and how much you know, why not personal e-mail the guy with your knowledge so the whole world isn't instantly educated?

Also, a lot of good 'in general' and very helpful information can be shared without exposed specific spots.

Common sense, or as a friend of mine says, "come on, sense!"

Mike

The way I see it there aint much difference tween giv'n out "secret spots" and "public whine'n", learned my lesson about 3 years ago to "not" help someone on an open forum, got the same thing COOSEFAN!

Perhaps some things ought to be in a private message but oh well! Chill out dudes! yall be hunt'n soon!

Just remember "your" secret spot was someone elses long before you came around!

Good luck!