seeker88

Opening Week Advice - 24b

This is my first post on coueswhitetail.com, so hello to everyone on the forums!

I will be hunting 24b this upcoming Friday, and have been preparing for this December hunt for the past few months. I also hunted this same area in September but never got a shot opportunity. In September and October I saw many quality bucks in the area I am hunting. However, during my scouting trip in November I found many does, but not one buck! I am assuming this is highly due to the November Rifle hunt in this unit which I wasn't drawn for ... I also have a game camera set up on a major game trail leading to a water hole and again, I have about 75 pictures of does, but not one buck. Coyotes, foxes, skunks, does, but no bucks...

This past weekend, I found a new scrape on another tail heading to the waterhole, which has given me some new hope. I also have read that once the rut starts the bucks will change their patterns and start going where the does are.

I currently have 2 natural blinds set up, one by the waterhole and another on the game trail where I have my camera set up.

So here is my question:

Should I sit the waterhole blind in hopes of a buck?

Should I sit on the heavily used game trail where my camera is at (where I've only seen does)?

Or since I'm not actually seeing the same bucks I saw the past few months, would doing another spot in stalk in the area prove effective with the oncoming rut?

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I was leaning towards the same thing. I haven't seen any bucks the last few times I was glassing, so maybe I'll head in further back. I just received my new binoculars last night (10x42), which is a huge upgrade from my current set up. This should help make glassing easier and more exciting!

Is anyone else not seeing as many bucks as they were earlier in the season?

Nadda, as I spent the last rifle hunt in that unit over Thanksgiving. Saw about 40 to 50 does over the hunt with only 2 small bucks way off in the distance the last day.

I was in there for both hunts this year. I'd pick a good glassing spot close to water and Glass, glass, glass, nap, eat, glass, and glass some more. Should be a great hunt for you if the bucks are moving.

Sitting water will be kind of pointless if the weather forcasters are correct and it rains thurs-fri. Glassing will be your best option.

Thanks for sharing hunting addict. Sorry you didn't get to see any shooters. Antmo, if I recall you've pulled a couple bucks out of 24b already this season.

Since there's a coldfront coming in this weekend, I'm excited to see if it get's the bucks moving a bit!

Sawbuck, guess I better find a new unit then... lol

Eagle Eye, this is for Archery. The Rifle hunt in 24b also opens on the 14th, but there is only 40 tags available. I really hope i'm lucky enough to not be hunting the same area as one of them...

I have, we went 3 out of 5 this year and saw some nice bucks. Youre a lucky guy, the late hunt should be great!