Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Our Rifles Can't Shoot Worth a Hoot

Firstcoueswas80 and I went down to the cinder pit to check our zeroes for the weekend. Shooting at 100 yards off the bench. I was shooting my HS Precision chambered in300 WSM. Casey told me to stop after the first round, but I shot 2 more rounds since anyone (even Casey) can shoot a one hole group with one shot. Nothing has changed from last fall. It'll do.

WSMtargets8-8-06001.jpg

Next, Casey was shooting his Bettin Custom Mauser 98 chambered in 270WSM. Lil' stinker flinched 3 shots right together. Now, we know the rifle can shoot, but what about the shooter? We've all heard about his shotgun tactics at game to keep the ammo manufacturers out of the red. He'll be hunting those bears closer to the Vortices above Sedona, so the power of the crystal may throw him askew.

WSMtargets8-8-06002.jpg

Good luck to you bear hunters this weekend.

Doug~RR

Guest Ernesto C

Doug, you guys keep missing the penny! :ph34r: then it looks like Casey was going to hit it but you move it B) JK.

We know Casey shoots like that off the bench but.............in a true hunting scenario he gets the fever. :D

No seriously you guys are dead on with your rifles........hope you guys have a good time a get your bears.

Man, its a good thing i like my rifle or it might be for sale!! Ernesto can u believe he moved it on me! aint that jacked up!!!

i can shoot well from a bench, its when fur is in my cross hairs that i mess up!

All I can say is "WOW", you guy's can shoot skeeters at a 100 yards :D If ya wanted to B) Casey, all you got to do now is get rid of the buck fever :ph34r:

if i get rid of buck fever, ill get rid of all my rifles, optics, and hang my hunting hat up for ever.

now the fever before the shot... yes, that i need to get rid of no doubt!!! im betting $20 though, if i shoot a buck this year, it will be with under 5 shots! :ph34r: heck, it might even be 1 MAYBE 2! depends, if hes out there a ways, i may send the first one off, and not see it land and shoot the 2nd one just to have the 1st hit right before the second B) but as lark would say " it aint a 7mm-08"

I've been thinkin', as much as Casey has been hearing it since last season I think he's probably gonna bag about a 110 with one shot on opening morning :ph34r: ......then he'll be totally off the hook and someone else is gonna have to become the new scapegoat.

You guys are DIALED! One things for sure now, you won't be able to blame the guns :ph34r:

Casey,

Let me pass on a little exercise I invented to help shake "buck fever" BEFORE you fire a shot.

Just make sure your rifle is sighted in(done), scout hard, go to deer camp, and begin hunting as usual.

Here's where it gets interesting. When you first see that monster buck, line him up in your sights, then pull out a big handfull of your best handloads and throw them as hard as you can in the buck's general direction!

After getting rid of the jitters, you can settle down line the buck up in your sights again and shoot him with your first shot fired. Oh you still fling a lot of bullets before you hit a deer, but it's a lot quieter. You can actually hear the buck laughing at your lousy throwing arm right before you drill him. Hope this helps.

If any of you are in the 36s or 21 or wherever and you see hundreds of perfectly good 30-06 or .300 WSM rounds (other than being weathered)scattered around, I would surely appreciate you returning them to me.

Lee

Lee, i played baseball for 13 years, the arm aint that bad :ph34r:

now granted, i might have a much better chance at actually hitting the buck with the bullets from the gun! hahaha!

Daryl! you the man! thats exactly what i am hoping! im gonna baf a booner bear this weekend, then a booner coues in november! i have the target turrets dialed and ready to roll out to 500 yards with the wsm!

the sad thing is Doug isnt even carrying that rifle for the bear hunt!!!! thats his back up rifle!!! me on the other hand, i carry my 270wsm for everything elk, deer, coyotes!

Coues7, ya gotta know how to flunch, do you think Doug and i are really good shots? well were not, we can just flinch with the best of em B)