Sign in to follow this  
My Rights As An American

2013 Javelina--Bratwurst!

Could not hunt until January 5 this year, but that does not seem to have been a problem! Well, after hiking up a mountain, I took a short break to catch my breath. Looking down at the bottom right where I came from was a herd of 6 javelina. JERKS!

On my way to my next hunting spot, two javelina jumped across the dirt road and took off. I followed with bow and binos, no backpack. Fifteen minutes later I was into them again but they busted me moving in. After about 5 minutes of "I see you", "Uh, no you don't" , "Uh, yes I do", "No you don't" this javelina stepped out and I let a 125 grain thunderhead fly. The damage was crazy but I lost no meat! This javelina weighed about 40-45 pounds and was pretty heavy to carry back to the truck where all of my gutting stuff was. From live to wrapped in a game bag was less than one hour, nice and easy!

Anyway, butchered it last night and made 20 pounds of bratwurst. First time ever making brats, so I will have to see how it goes.

• Like 1

And the final result from one javelina:

20 pounds

68 bratwurst

Not too bad! All it cost was about $15 in pork (and Fry's had buy one pork item, get one free so I have another pork butt for slow roasting for free!) and about $18 in a sausage kit with seasoning and casings. Not too shabby!!!

Congratulations again Brian and that brats looks awesome. How did it taste? :)

TJ

TJ, just texted you. Will send some brats your way next time we see each other. Give me a call later.

thanks bonecollector, had to wait overnight to let them sit before trying them. Have a hot date tonight but will try them this weekend. Smelled OUTSTANDING!!!! NO gamey smell at all!!!! Did a 60/40 javelina/pork mix so they should be pretty tasty!

Thanks Amanda, GREAT meeting you a few weeks back. Hope all is well, my best to both you and your husband!

Thanks! and I will probably be giving you a call soon about the women's javelina camp....TJ gave me your number.

Congrats on your pig! Sounds like the brats are going to taste good. I brine my pig for two days changing the salt water and ice each day.....no smell what so ever!