BDR

New to hounds

I have a few questions for a seasoned hounds men.

I recently bought A hound pup off this web site he is a red tick who's mother and father both hunt. I would like to train him but Im not sure I'm going to be collectin dogs and becoming a lion hunter anytime soon. I have been out a few times with a friend that has killed many lions but I really don't know anything about training this dog. My questions are:

Would I be able to train this dog to find an animal that has been shot and we are unable to find? I lost a great deer during archery season two years ago after tracking his blood trail for about a mile and days of searching he just quit bleeding.

Should I use him only for hunting/tracking? He has been included into our family of pets and I'm not sure if this will enable him to be a great hunter. My friend keeps his dogs in kennels and only uses them to hunt. My kids love this dog and play with it every day. What I'm wondering is can I have both?

Thanks!

• Like 1

In most cases you want your Lion dogs to know when they are out of the kennel they are going to hunt. It helps in their excitement of chasing a cat. But if its a family pet you can still teach it to run game. Because they come by it natural. It's also o e of the main reasons the run off and get lost as pets. Maybe your friend will let you run yours with his a few times. If you are going to use it to hunt cats you should consider at least one more hound. If you are wanting to run bear you shoul consider more then just two hounds.

I am sure it can be a family dog and still hunt. Hunting is what they want to do, whether they sleep in a kennel or in a home. I am sure you can train it to track a blood trail, however, there are some legal issues with this that you should discuss with AGFD first. As I understand it, it's illegal to take a deer with the aid of a dog and if you are trailing a wounded deer with a dog and it's not dead when you catch up to it, then perhaps you would be violating a law? I don't know for sure, ask AGFD.

i have six hounds and they are family oriented dogs. they dont sleep in the house or come in the house but they run around the yard and love to play with kids. they also know when its time to work. having one dog makes it tough not impossible to catch game with as my lead dog catch four bears and two lions this year on his own. it makes it better having a couple for the fact that the game you are chasing doesnt want to tree and also i feel that dogs work of other dogs they all have different skills that work great as a pack. im no expert have only been in it for the last three years. this year i have hunted more then ever do to working for an outfitter in new mexico. i have learned a lot about working with dogs and being able to read dogs and figure out what they are doing and what participation efforts they are putting in to help the pack as a whole. my opinion is if you dont want a bunch of hounds running around i think 3 would be a good number to work with and be be able to catch game with. feel free to message me if you have any other questions. good luck and good hunting

Good point about G&F. We have a seven year old black lab that hangs out around the house and I'm hoping this guy does the same, we will see though. There is not many houses nearby and I almost boarder state land so they have a ton of space. Im really thinking about adding a few more in the future just because they are the neatest dogs and you can do so much with them!

Azhoundcrazy, my father in law works for an outfitter in new Mexico as well, I can't think of the name right now but they do mostly deer and elk with a few sheep hunts.

Yes you can have a pet that is an awesome hunter. For bloodtrailing I dont know that a hound would be my first choice of dog, but they could probably figure it out with a little help. One good dog can catch a lot of game by themselves. Not always the safest for them to be out alone. My hounds and terriers all take turns coming in the house.

Our animals never come in the house but they sure are played with. Thanks for the info, I've been watching videos on YouTube there's actually some really good stuff on training you hounds. This has really really excited me now, what awsome animals! I will sure be taking him out with my buddy that hunts lions when the pup gets a little older. He says that the younger dogs tend to learn from the more experienced ones while out on the hunt.

hey this is Mark

I think you bought the puppy we called Cinch. Follow some of the advice you see on the youtube stuff. But I would not get to serious with him till he is a over 6 mo. Sometimes they get a little intimidated by the other dogs. If you can keep him on a lead while the other dogs are on a trail it can help. And if you see them/hear them tree a lion then let him go. I think that experience will do the most. Just let his natural instints take over. He's got good blood in him.

Post a picture of him if you get a chance. and call me if you you have any questions.

Mark