Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Help a young girl get a service dog

The daughter of an AZ hunting family needs help......

You can donate if you wish to help her get a service dog. See the links below.

Amanda

here is the email please from her father:

At 16 months old, Savannah was diagnosed with Juvenile (type 1) Diabetes.
On diagnosis, Savannah's blood sugar was 1319! Just to let you know how
grave her situation was, blood sugars over 800 are enough to take the life
of a grown man. BUT, Savannah is our miracle child; she is a survivor!

Over the last year, Savannah has tolerated 200 shots and 3000 finger
pricks. In the eight years since her diagnosis Savannah has endured over
23,000 finger pricks and 7,500 insulin injections. Savannah is an Angel and
takes 99% of these shots without even shedding a tear! She is one tough
cookie that continues to bless our family with her strength and resilience!

We are trying to get a service dog for Savannah to help alert us before
Savannah's blood sugars get dangerously low. It's our goal to avoid the
heart and kidney disease, blindness, amputation, and early death that is a
reality for many people with juvenile diabetes. Our family is deeply
grateful to you for helping us reach our goal. Each link below has a place
to donate. However, if you need a receipt for tax purposes, please go
directly to the Arizona Power Paws link listed below. Please make sure to
notate that the donation is for Savannah Lopeman.

Please watch the short clip below.

YouTube link:

Vimeo link: (Best for mobile devices): http://vimeo.com/56071067

www.azpowerpaws.org

Words can not express our gratitude. We hope you have a happy and healthy

Jay Lopeman

• Like 1

I'm going to ask each of my employees to donate to this, along with a donation from my business. I would like to come up with $1000. Maybe some other business owners on here could do something similar. it would be awesome if CWT members could take care of the $7000! Brave little girl. I have 5 granddaughters and things like this make me thank God for their good health!

• Like 1

We are one of the largest group of great people. We WILL help this little hero and her family.

I cross posted in my FB Page and another forum without asking for permission, I hope it's OK.

My thoughts are with you Savanna.

A few words of encouragement for the family... I have seen kids adapt with amazing speed to this condition. My son has Diabetes as well. One of the leading research centers for Diabetes is here in Phoenix, I know the lead doctor. It is my deepest belief that a cure, or at least a much better control, is sooner rather than later.

I'm taking this real slow. I've never seen a need for donations to acquire a Service Dog and neither has a close friend who raises Guide Dogs for the Blind puppies.

just an fyi, I called the service dog agency they are using (az power paws) and asked about the process for a family to get a dog. Anyone else here can call them and do the same. They do indeed charge for the dogs. They charge the family $6,000 of the estimated $22,000 that it takes to raise and train the dogs. The rest is covered by the organization's fundraising as a non-profit. The family is required to make the $6,000 payment after a fairly lengthy approval process (which includes interviews with family, friends, and doctor) and before the child starts a two week "boot camp" with the dog. During the approval process, the organization requires the child and family to prove the need for the dog and has them comeback about every 6-8 weeks to see how the condition/need has changed. They require the child and family to spend time at the facility to see which dogs are best matched with them. Once they get a dog that seems to be a match, then they do the two week boot camp (mostly to train the child about the dog, since the dog is trained).

I also confirmed that this organization is accredited by Assistance Dogs International. here is a link for that: http://www.assistancedogsinternational.org/location/arizona/

Also, if you make the donation directly to AZ Power Paws in Savannah's name, then the money goes directly to the non-profit but will help the family reach their goal. That's probably the safest way to donate. I spoke with Jay last night and he said they have already set up that any extra money above what is needed will be donated to the organization to specifially help another child. Jay is organizing some fundraising activities through his gym and so if you want to do an event rather than just donate, there is that option.

I believe Channel 3 is going to do a feature about this case tomorrow morning. Also, if anyone wants to contact the family directly, please email me and I will give you their phone numbers so you can speak directly to them and ask any questions you like.

Check out Early Alert Canines. The dogs are free but there are some limitations due to age and other considerations. It's true that this girl need help. I just use caution and look for alternatives.

Check out Early Alert Canines. The dogs are free but there are some limitations due to age and other considerations. It's true that this girl need help. I just use caution and look for alternatives.

If you want, call me and I can give you the parents' phone numbers and you can ask them why they chose this alternative and you can recommend other ones.

I'm taking this real slow. I've never seen a need for donations to acquire a Service Dog and neither has a close friend who raises Guide Dogs for the Blind puppies.

just an fyi, I called the service dog agency they are using (az power paws) and asked about the process for a family to get a dog. Anyone else here can call them and do the same. They do indeed charge for the dogs. They charge the family $6,000 of the estimated $22,000 that it takes to raise and train the dogs. The rest is covered by the organization's fundraising as a non-profit. The family is required to make the $6,000 payment after a fairly lengthy approval process (which includes interviews with family, friends, and doctor) and before the child starts a two week "boot camp" with the dog. During the approval process, the organization requires the child and family to prove the need for the dog and has them comeback about every 6-8 weeks to see how the condition/need has changed. They require the child and family to spend time at the facility to see which dogs are best matched with them. Once they get a dog that seems to be a match, then they do the two week boot camp (mostly to train the child about the dog, since the dog is trained).

I also confirmed that this organization is accredited by Assistance Dogs International. here is a link for that: http://www.assistancedogsinternational.org/location/arizona/

Amanda,

I don't know where you find the time to run this site nevertheless do the research you do. I'm proud to be a member of CWT. I have a niece who went through this @ 3 years old and is now 32 with two kids.

Yeah, she still has the disease and had an insulin pump for a while about 5 years ago so to the rest of the members of CWT all I can say is these are hard times for all of us and as a parent you never think stuff will happen to your child so donate if you can as every nickel helps so tomorrow just drive past Starbucks, Mickie D's or subway and spend that Five Spot on something else.

I guaranteeeeee you'll sleep better.

PRDATR OUT.

• Like 2

Thanks for bringing this to our attention and for all your research Amanda. I have a nephew in need of a assistant dog and know myself how hard it is for families to even qualify for these. Knowing that Savannah has already accomplished the hurdle of qualifying, by all means let's help her get this life saving dog!

Let's not wait for tomorrow a donation of any amount today can make this happen. I showed the video to my wife and her only comment was all the hunters on this web site should be able to do this in just a few days not much I could say to that.

Once again I say to Savannah I admire your strength and know all our prayers are with you.