Sign in to follow this  
bowhuntaz1

Question for ya all

I have hunted this same spot for 3 years. There is a downed burnt pine tree. I always see does getting on their knees and sticking their head under it, and licking and biting the burnt section of the tree. They have hit it enough that there is a bowl under the tasty spot for better access. I have never seen the bucks do this. Any thoughts?

Most interested...

i read somewhere that there is nutrients in the ashes.

here some info from Purdue University horticulture web page with the link

Wood stoves and fireplaces are great for warming gardeners' chilly hands and feet, but what are we to do with the resulting ashes? Many gardening books advise throwing these ashes in the garden.

Wood ash does have fertilizer value, the amount varying somewhat with the species of wood being used. Generally, wood ash contains less than 10 percent potash, 1 percent phosphate and trace amounts of micro-nutrients such as iron, manganese, boron, copper and zinc. Trace amounts of heavy metals such as lead, cadmium, nickel and chromium also may be present. Wood ash does not contain nitrogen.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/woodash.html

James

I've seen them crunching on charcoal with fire burning around them, had a young Angus bull that snuck into camp and ate all the charcoal out of the fire pit 3 or 4 different times, wouldn't have minded if he hadn't slobbered up the kitchen stuff

I have seen groups of cattle several times standing in and around a campfire ring....they all wanted to get in it and eat the ashes. It must be the nutrients in the ash. I haven't seen deer do it, but it's probably the same thing driving them to do it.