cb375hh

Prince of wales deer hunting ????

Any one ever deer hunt on Prince of Wales Island? A lot of you guys have hunted all over so I thought it was worth a shot. Even if someone you know has hunted the island it would be helpful.

My hunting partner and I are going to hunt the Alpine in August. We were going to hunt Kodiak but the massive winter die off last year changed that. I have a few questions for anyone who has ever hunted the island. Can't ever get a hold of Fish and Game in Alaska so I thought I might try here. Hard to get honest answers from people who make money on wheather or not I come to the island to hunt as well. I was wondering what the deer numbers were like and how many other hunters you encountered? Have been reading that there buck to doe ratio is very bad as well can any one confirm this? Also was wondering if anyone new of a butcher on the Island.

Thanks ahead of time.

no, but been looking at it. talked to this outfitter and the winter kills did not hurt the deer on Price of Whales. www.AlaskaGlacierAdventures.com

Let me be clear....i have never hunted with this outfitter (Kirk) but a friend of mine has.... and had nothing but good things to say. He offers guided and non-guided hunts.

Also there are direct flights from Seattle to Price Whales. Which makes it a little easier to get to. Good luck keep me posted as I am planning on going to Kodiak or Price of Whales next year.

Thanks for the reference, funny thing is that I have been trading emails with johnny over the last month. My partner wants to go self guided so we have been debating what to do. My partner thinks it will be easy but I keep asking him are you gonna say that when were hunting thick rain forest and its pouring rain.

This might be late but just saw it. here are my 2 cents

My son was a part time guide on a fishing boat up there on prince of whales. We did a diy bear hunt up there and killed three nice bears. Alot easier then the deer.

One of the the guys working at the lodge was a local there on the island. He showed us the deer he was killing on the island, and they were some nice bucks. He was hunting high.

On our bear hunts we saw a few bucks low, but not very big. if it was me I would do a diy. And go high.

I know a guy that rents boats for bear hunts. Very reasonable. I think I would try renting a boat to get away from people and start climbing. Something I have been wanting to do myself.

As far as the rain. Yea be prepared for rain everyday. Hope fully you will get some nice days. If you are prepared for it its not that bad Ok doable. But if you are not it can be miserable

The other nice thing about Prince of Whales is you do not have to deal with the brown bears. Especially if you are hunting with rifle

however you do it I wish you the best of luck

Depends on the time of year, when I hunted it it was late august early September, and the big big bucks were all in the mountains above the treeline called the alpine. It was vary difficult trying to get to them. P of W is a rain forest so when its not raining everything is covered in condensation so by the time we actually made it to the alpine we were soaked. The best time of year to hunt them would be from when snow pushed them down off the mountain. P of W produces some of the best blacktail anywhere so I hope you have some better luck than I did. I would also recommend buying a bear tag and do some fishing as well. There is a fishing guide on the northwest part the island called Bear River I believe, he is kind of a remote location but definetly the best fishing guide on the island. If you are interested in fishing I would ask some of the locals about his outfit and if he is still around. Anyways I hope I was some help, good luck and post a lot of pix!

We were planning on going early season so we could just get up high and camp. Does anyone know at what height the open alpine starts? I have found a decent spots on google earth but I have to pick between to different areas. Any pointers would be very helpful.

You can pretty much pick out all of the alpine areas from google earth.

If you want to hunt Sitka's in the Alpine, I'd look elsewhere than POW...Locals get first crack at them and by the time you get to hunt they'll be rubbed and into the timber...Find a good spot/lake on Kodiak for an Alpine hunt...