That is an awesome antelope with really good prongs and length!! Very nice pictures. I think antelope are one of the harder animals to field judge, but I definitely think he is at least in the upper 80's scorewise.

How about this antelope from NM that I digiscoped this morning from about 400-500 yards off the highway. He has really funky horns, but both sides are long and both have about equal prongs even though you never get a good look at the prong on the left horn. What do you think this guy would score?

31_DSCN1745web_1.jpg

31_DSCN1749web_1.jpg

31_DSCN1753web_1.jpg

31_DSCN1764web_1.jpg

wow, do they count spread on an antelope? If so then this one is definitely a Booner.

Spread doesn't count in the calculation of the score of an antelope. But in addition B&C has this rule to eliminate those kinds of bucks from the recordbook: "In order to be eligible for entry, both horns, when viewed from the front, should angle upward approximately 15 degrees or more from a horizontal plane projected across both horn bases. This eliminates heads with horns that project straight out or downard from inclusion in the records."

That sure is a cool looking buck though.

Amanda

Spread doesn't count in the calculation of the score of an antelope. But in addition B&C has this rule to eliminate those kinds of bucks from the recordbook: "In order to be eligible for entry, both horns, when viewed from the front, should angle upward approximately 15 degrees or more from a horizontal plane projected across both horn bases. This eliminates heads with horns that project straight out or downard from inclusion in the records."

That sure is a cool looking buck though.

Amanda

True Amanda but he would still go into the SCI and from the way he looks he would do very well. I love the B&C but i hate some of their rules--like the one you just mentioned. That buck is fully mature and he has some really nice horns--why should he not be included with the rest of the big bucks?? (just asking out loud here)

I know what unit the twin to that buck lives in. I see him year after year, But it is in AZ not NM. There is also a mule deer buck that grows just about like that in this unit as well.

hunter4life--That is a vey cool lookin buck. His mom must have dropped him when he was a baby. I'd have to say I have no idea how big that one is. There is no spread count on antelope, it used to be if the spread was greater than horn lenghth it was a deduction (B&C) but I think they did away with that. If I were to guess I'd say around 83" give or take. I'd definately shoot him though! great find.

BigDeal--The only shed I found while tryin was the one on the far left all the rest were pure dumb luck. I think they stink so bad when they are shed that the coyotes eat them pretty quick.