Sign in to follow this  
stanley

Junior AZ Deer Association Hunter Ed Weekend

Some of you might have seen this on AZOD, but I thought I'd post it here as well. This past weekend, the Arizona Deer Association sponsored a 'Hunter Education' weekend. This was basically a 2 1/2 day event where the participants got the entire Hunter Education class curriculum, instead of stringing it out over several weeks. There were about 18 participants in the class. It was held at a private ranch north of Verde Valley that was GENEROUSLY donated for the event. Thanks much to Larry Kindred, Bill Hill, De Wane Tabbot, Matt Pierce, and the other volunteers for doing this. These guys & their efforts are the ones really making a difference for our youth!

It was also nice to meet the new ADA Youth Chairman, Terry Herndon! Thanks again for driving-up for the evening Terry!

Here are a couple of pictures from the weekend:

Getting some good instruction on the shooting bench!

IMG_06642.jpg

Taking a few shots.

IMG_0678-copy.jpg

Instruction during the 'range day' to finish-out the course.

IMG_0805-copy.jpg

Keeping a watchful eye on the shooters! :lol:

IMG_0825-copy.jpg

In addition to the official class instruction, there was also some time for other forms of fun & recreation. There was a great swimming/fishing pond that the kids (and some of the adults) thoroughly enjoyed!

IMG_0696-copy.jpg

IMG_0704-copy.jpg

I always like to see the older kids act as mentors/leaders to the younger ones. Here is my son Nick (on the right) getting some pointers on the proper way to do a cannon-ball off the end of a dock!

IMG_0725-copy.jpg

And here is his attempt.... :lol:

IMG_0726-copy.jpg

Hope you all enjoy the pics.

S.

:lol:

Great pics and great event. Thanks Stan and everyone who put that together! Looks like a much nicer place than where we had the event last year (or the year before) in Mesa.

Amanda

Guest Ernesto C

Thanks for sharing those pics Stanley.It is always fun working with kids and also a learning experience every time (at least for my self) I always enjoy teaching the Hunter Education to the young ones.

Looks like you guys had a great time.

dang, i wish i woulda nood about it. i'da won the bellyflop contest. sure looks like a good time. that's the way they oughta do em all. Lark.

Yep, a good time was had by all. In addition to the class & swimming, there were bluegill & bass to be caught in the pond and stream, as well as lots of running around 'kick the can' style after dark. The kids had as much fun after the sun went down as they did shooting, swimming, and fishing! ;)

I'm sure you would have been a strong contender in the flop contest Lark, though you would have had some steep competition based on some of the antics I witnessed while there. Notice my boy about to bite his tong upon landing in the 3rd picture from the bottom.... :D Nothing like doing a face plant on a pontoon....

S.

:)