Sign in to follow this  
shylopolito

Help wanted! Opinions of this buck

Beautiful buck!! He's gotta be pushing 115". I'd put a lot of time and energy into lettin' the air outa that buck.

There are certain measurements that are pretty standard on a coues that you can use to evaluate them. For instance front corner of the eye to the end of the nose roughly 6 to 6.5 inches. The inner opening of the ear from the tip to the little patch of white hair they all is is also 6 to 6.5 inches. Ears from behind including ear butt average 9 inches. Coues average 13 to 14 inches of mass per side. Average main beam length 15 to 16. When a coues is looking at you ears forward 14 inches from ear tip to ear tip. Using these you can get really close in estimating the antler size. Roughly speaking if a coues is out to his ear tips width, has point that are as long as the opening of his ears and decent eye guards you are looking at 100 inch buck. I use this as a base to judge deer. And then either add or subtract from that depending on what you see. Main beams seem super long or short. Mass is unreal. Add or subtract from the standard 100 inch picture in your mind. My guess is 104 to 109. Awesome buck for sure!

Looks pretty good for a Coues. If you work at it hard enough hopefully you guys can put him on the ground. Great photos.

I am thinking he will go real close to 110