Sign in to follow this  
MULEPACKHUNTER

How did you process your pig?

Like 2 full curls, I took mine to southwest processing and had both pigs made into snack sticks. Have been doing this for about 6 years. They are awesome and you can get them in different flavors. They charge $75.00 per pig, but well worth the price.

People actually eat those things?

I tend to keep my tag in my wallet, help those who want actually WANT to shoot a pig, hope I don't actually get a shot, cook in camp, and enjoy expensive liquid bread after sundown.

Praticing that theory, I've had MANY successful pig hunts and haven't had to actually shoot one yet... :D

The smell and taste of which you speak is often caused by surface contaimination of the meat. Touch a tarsal gland or any part of a rutty bull, then touch meat. Basically get the outsides on the inside. Field gloves and judicious use of a tie off or partner address this issue well.

Game fat also sours in the freezer, due to enzymes which stay active at home freezer temps or some such thing. Bear fat is the worst. Hence the trimming and rendering of bear fat for other uses. Pie crust and boot dressing...

You get that bad smell and taste, and it is hard to overcome.

I was only about 3 miles from my Jeep when I shot mine this year. Field dressed it and hauled it out whole. Drove straight home, about an hour, and skinned it on my back porch. I am getting a full mount this year and managed to skin the whole thing from the one cut on the belly leaving the skull and hooves attached. The skin went right to the freezer.

With the rest I cut out the backstraps and skirt steaks/belly meat for stewing/chilli and put in the freezer. Two quarters went into a gallon freezer bag for later cooking. Two quarters into a slow cooker. Covered with beef broth and bay leaves and cooked on low for 12 hours. This then was shredded, some with BBQ sauce for "pulled pork" sandwiches, some into tamales, and some I scrambled with eggs for breakfast the rest of the week. I will do the same thing with the other quarters at the end of May or so.

I took mine to Millers Southwest processing. This year I had the whole pig made into Black Pepper and Teriyaki Slim Jims. In the past I have them made into summer sausage. Real tasty that way.

I have said this before!!! YOU must take care of the animal in the field. I gut and wash the pig as best as I can in the field. Ice at the truck. Once at home, I skin and wash thoroughly let it hang for an hour or so to dry. I then place in a clean garbage bag (slightly open) and place in the refer on the back porch at 35 deg. for 14 to 18 days. Then I butcher it as I wish place the cuts in vacuum bags and freeze.