Sign in to follow this  
MULEPACKHUNTER

How did you process your pig?

Just wondering and learning. With 2 pigs down this year I just quartered them and pulled backs and some misc meat off then packed out in game bags and plastic bags. I noticed alot of folks hauling the whole pig. We did have a long hike or I may have done the trophy thing. Now back at home i wish I would have.

I brought the meat home and deboned and am cutting with bacon and pork shoulder now for breakfast sausage.

When I was skinning I noticed the meat was pretty warm on the back strap area until I got the skin off so I was glad I went that route. This was my first ever butcher job and it went pretty well but was just wondering how some others handle theirs? If there are other threads on this just send me that way, no need to start over on an old subject. Congrats to all who got to hunt his season taggers and tag soupers alike. Looks like after cutting in 15 lbs of pork and 1 lb of bacon I will have roughly 45-50 lbs of sausage so there goes my diet plan for the new year!

We boned out all three javelina in the field and packed out the hides with skulls in them. For one of the skins we took the feet attached to the skin as well as the head because she wanted to do a nice rug from it. We got about two gallon sized ziplocks of meat from the pigs and packed out several of the leg bones for my dogs. I like doing it this way because it is easier to pack them out and when you get back to camp, you are done processing meat. We happened to have some good shady spots near the kills where we could bone out the javies and so we figured it was cooler where we did it then back at camp. I will be making some sausage today! can't wait!

We caped my wife's first ever javelina this weekend, then gutless method the rest and hauled both skulls and meat back to the truck for a 2 mile pack out. When i got home i marinated the backstraps and we had a great dinner the next night. I know a lot of people dont like the taste but these backstraps were honestly as good as any game meat i have had. All i did was season them overnight with my wife's homemade seasoning and cook them in the pan with just a small amount of oil. The rest of the meat filled up two of the large ziploc bags and is being made into jalepeno cheddar sausage. Yummm

• Like 1

Skinned, quartered and put in tin foil and burlap. Pit barbecued over night. meat fell off bone. Than we shredded meat and slow cooked all day in sweet baby rays sauce. ITS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great burritos!! 4 javelina done this way.; Plenty of meat for the next 6 months.

We boned out all three javelina in the field and packed out the hides with skulls in them. For one of the skins we took the feet attached to the skin as well as the head because she wanted to do a nice rug from it. We got about two gallon sized ziplocks of meat from the pigs and packed out several of the leg bones for my dogs. I like doing it this way because it is easier to pack them out and when you get back to camp, you are done processing meat. We happened to have some good shady spots near the kills where we could bone out the javies and so we figured it was cooler where we did it then back at camp. I will be making some sausage today! can't wait!

Wow, I just boned my quarters in the kitchen and it was alot of work, I cant imagine doing it in the field and keeping it clean? I had garbage bags as seen on CWT forums but It was still tuff. I will have to do some more learnin. I was working the back quarters and my wife said I should just pit roast the whole thing too. I will do this next time for sure.

depends on where I drop it and how far it is to camp/rig, doesn't matter if it's pig, deer or elk. My goal is to get the hide off and start it cooling as soon as possible, been using pillow cases for that chore, keeps the meat clean, let's it breathe and are cheap at yard sales. Sometimes it's gutless, sometimes clean and skin, then the meat is put in a cooler full of frozen 16 oz water bottles.

Don't be putting your meat in ziplocks or garbage bags, keeps the heat in and makes it sweat, save that for when it is cooled down back at camp.

We haul out whole, then skin them first, then gut. Then we quarter them and my mom has a big pressure cooker, so we toss them in there. We then pick the bones out and have gallon sized ziplocks of meat. Use it for tamales or bbq sandwiches.

Wow, I just boned my quarters in the kitchen and it was alot of work, I cant imagine doing it in the field and keeping it clean? I had garbage bags as seen on CWT forums but It was still tuff. I will have to do some more learnin. I was working the back quarters and my wife said I should just pit roast the whole thing too. I will do this next time for sure.

I don't find it that difficult.....the first two we were able to hang from a nice cottonwood and skin them and bone them while hanging. But the third we did the gutless method on the ground. That was more challenging because we only had a javelina trail to work on. But it was shaded and cool and worked fine. I find using a havalon knife makes it a lot easier....just be careful when using one!

http://store.coueswhitetail.com/categories/Knives/

We always pack out pigs whole and skin them when we get back to the truck/ranger or camp. Then, I take it to WGP. I ask for the premium cuts cut out and wrapped, and the rest turned into summer sausage. Turns out delicious.

I took mine to Millers Southwestern Processing, and had the whole thing made into peppered snack sticks. They are awesome!!! Millers' recipes are very tasty...basically the best slim jims that money can buy.

• Like 1

Can you get burlap at Home Depot?

Not sure about home depot but ace hardware has em.

One more thing, If the weather is cool and your camping around some juniper hang your pig in the center of the thickes one around for a day or two.

Something about the juniper kinda does something to the flavor and ageing process. I learned this from a old timer.

This year, I was lucky enough to harvest two. The first I caught running away from the waterhole as I was driving to my hunting area. 200 yards later I caught up on foot. Carried it back whole because I left my pack at the truck. The second was spotted off a mountain 200 yards from the truck. It died 100 yards away. Another carry whole to truck. Both gutted then skinned and cleaned before hanging for 5 days. Just finished second batch of javelina brats! Four hours from start to finish!!!

This year, I was lucky enough to harvest two. The first I caught running away from the waterhole as I was driving to my hunting area. 200 yards later I caught up on foot. Carried it back whole because I left my pack at the truck. The second was spotted off a mountain 200 yards from the truck. It died 100 yards away. Another carry whole to truck. Both gutted then skinned and cleaned before hanging for 5 days. Just finished second batch of javelina brats! Four hours from start to finish!!!

Nice deal, hangin for 5 days huh? I saw some guys in like 75 degree weather durring the archery hunt and they hung theirs all day ? I figured they would go bad in those conditions? Does it seem better to age them?