Sign in to follow this  
Jimmer Negamanee

Feral pigs in NM

In the new March/April issue of Arizona Wildlife Views, there's an article about this very subject. Within the article, there is a map of Arizona indicating where current feral pig populations exist. Much more than I expected. Considering how fast they reproduce, I bet there are unknown populations scattered throughout the state.

I shot three a few weeks ago on public land while here in NM working. I asked a few questions around and nknew they were around water sources. Once they are thier you almost cant get rid of them. The three i shot had 15 piglets. some will go to predators, but some will make it. they are all up and down the Pecos river. Sure they are in other parts too. very nocturnal, and very smart.

how do you hunt them?

i'm planning to hunt them here in arizona, do you see them during the day? or like big game, early and late ?

Jeff, are you working in the patch over there? Did you get into pigs west of Artesia towards the large rolling hills,after hope village? My brother is working for Capstar in the basin between Hobbs and Artesia. I hunted in Seminole (last week) on a two section farm with my dads buddy and we jumped up three mature hogs right after the sun came up while making a coyote stand, and they also had 7+ piglets in tow. Ill post pics later.

Set up a cam on an area that had some sign, snuck in to check cam and they were there. Took a few shots and was done. Lots of pigs on the pecos but they are pretty skittish