Sign in to follow this  
CouesFanatic

Unit 9 Guide

The good news is, there is no shortage of guides in this state that really "live to hunt". The responses provided here by some of the guides mentioned in the "short list" should be re-affirming. These guys are respectful of each other, know their areas and know the animals in them. From what I've seen, they also know how to match their client to the best possible opportunity to achieve their goal - let's face it, not every client has the same abilities, and part of being a great outfitter is recognizing this and tailoring the hunt to him/her.

The bad news is, you have to chose only one, LOL. Best wishes on the hunt.

I have no recommendations, I have no emotional attachment to any of the guys. But I thought it was interesting that right before Jim posted someone with a brand new account recommended him ;) Interesting to see the difference in posts from long time CWT guys and the <10 post crowd. Glad to see the regulars maintaining the standard.

Stay classy San Diego!

If you are implying what I think you are, you are wrong, I have no clue who that new member is.

My reputation and portfolio speaks for itself and I've worked very hard at building both over the last 12 years, I have no reason to play games or try to get votes on this thread.

And for the record and because I keep getting texts or calls about it, we've killed 8 bulls over 400" and 4 of those bulls have been with regular season archery and rifle tags. Not saying that to brag, just to set the record straight.

I have no recommendations, I have no emotional attachment to any of the guys. But I thought it was interesting that right before Jim posted someone with a brand new account recommended him ;) Interesting to see the difference in posts from long time CWT guys and the <10 post crowd. Glad to see the regulars maintaining the standard.

Stay classy San Diego!

If you are implying what I think you are, you are wrong, I have no clue who that new member is.

My reputation and portfolio speaks for itself and I've worked very hard at building both over the last 12 years, I have no reason to play games or try to get votes on this thread.

And for the record and because I keep getting texts or calls about it, we've killed 8 bulls over 400" and 4 of those bulls have been with regular season archery and rifle tags. Not saying that to brag, just to set the record straight.

Jim I was kidding and meant no disrespect. I hold you in the highest regard and we know you would never do that, I apologize if you feel your reputation was compromised, I would never do that intentionally.

I have hunted with Jim Mullins and Jay Scott on non guided hunts. Jim invited me into his deer camp on the kiabab this last year and Jay helped on a sheep hunt. Both are Top Notch!! I may be a newbie when it comes to posts but have been a CWT follower for years.

Stay classy San Diego!

If tour talking about "tinesup" he has been here for a few weeks. There have been a couple people just join today and comment on this thread just to reccommend an outfitter.

I have never been on a guided hunt before but if I were in your position I would have to go with Mullins or Jay/Darr. I dont know either of them but I do know that Amanda does a lot of research before she lets just anybody sponsor her site. Either one of them could of said "pick me pick me" but neither one did and they both gave you recommendations on what to look for in an outfitter.

Good luck on the hunt and have fun.

• Like 1

Stay classy San Diego!

If tour talking about "tinesup" he has been here for a few weeks. There have been a couple people just join today and comment on this thread just to reccommend an outfitter.

I have never been on a guided hunt before but if I were in your position I would have to go with Mullins or Jay/Darr. I dont know either of them but I do know that Amanda does a lot of research before she lets just anybody sponsor her site. Either one of them could of said "pick me pick me" but neither one did and they both gave you recommendations on what to look for in an outfitter.

Good luck on the hunt and have fun.

+1

Not sure why some of the people joined but I joined a couple weeks ago so I could look at photos of the 3 horned elk post. Was checking for CC hits info to see if I had any chance of still getting a tag. Saw this thread and decided I could give some constructive feedback and add a really good option incase some of the higher profile guides got booked up quick. Looks like way too much negative feedback has been posted (some a little extreme). I am really glad to see that the guides on here are trying to keep these posts away from the negative side and give practical advice. Jim aka COOSEFAN I think you did a very nice job on your last post and can see why so many people are recommending you.

Allow me to clarify my comment. I was joking about Jim making a fake account to recommend himself. It was just ironic that he posted right after a member with just 4 posts. The joke was clearly not perceived in the spirit it was intended to and for that I have apologized to Jim, he and I are all square.

My comment about the <10 post crowd was referring to some of the bashing that was going on. Several of the comments that I felt were distasteful had been posted by new members of CWT, AWH's comment was not among those. I see nothing wrong with creating an account to respond to someones request for information on a guide. You answered the question that the poster was asking. I did not find several of the other comments to be in good taste, specifically calling out guide's by name and defaming them. I would contend that this is not what I would consider typical of the posts that CWT regulars make.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but the question was, who is the best guide for unit 9. It was not "What negative and crude comments can you make about the following guides?"

Glad to see some of the new folks on here, I hope we can maintain the level of character that has been held by the majority in the past.

• Like 1

I'm definitely humbled by how many folks have recommended hiring my outfit, but I've gotta say, there are a couple other outfitters on that list that are great guys and consistently help hunters kill great bulls! I think my popularity here is just because this thread is about Unit 9 and it's no secret that I'm a Unit 9 junkie! :P

Like I said earlier and it's what I tell anyone that calls up inquiring about a hunt, take notice of who is recommended, get reference lists from each and base the decision of who to hire off the feedback you get from their past clients. That's the only way to make a safe decision on which outfitter to hire, not just because somebody told you should.

I just went back thru and did some house cleanin'. If anyone see's anything posted that they feel is over the line, in this thread or elsewhere, just contact a moderator and it'll get taken care of. Thanks.

• Like 1

Allow me to clarify my comment. I was joking about Jim making a fake account to recommend himself. It was just ironic that he posted right after a member with just 4 posts. The joke was clearly not perceived in the spirit it was intended to and for that I have apologized to Jim, he and I are all square.

My comment about the <10 post crowd was referring to some of the bashing that was going on. Several of the comments that I felt were distasteful had been posted by new members of CWT, AWH's comment was not among those. I see nothing wrong with creating an account to respond to someones request for information on a guide. You answered the question that the poster was asking. I did not find several of the other comments to be in good taste, specifically calling out guide's by name and defaming them. I would contend that this is not what I would consider typical of the posts that CWT regulars make.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but the question was, who is the best guide for unit 9. It was not "What negative and crude comments can you make about the following guides?"

Glad to see some of the new folks on here, I hope we can maintain the level of character that has been held by the majority in the past.

"Flatlander" The question was this:

(Who would you hire? Here is my list: (not in any order)

Jim Mullins

McClendon

Mossback

Chad Smith-Vaquero

Steve Chappell-is he in unit 9? I think he's only on the other side of the state.

Jay Scott and Dar Colburn)

And I broke down by each services name and mentioned the pros and cons that I know from my family and friends past experiences with these outfitters.

For heaven sake the kids waited since he was 12 years old to get this tag why are we going to beat around the bush and not give him the best advice we have. I want more then anything to see a post after his hunt of a giant bull with a good outfitter. I would hate to here a horror story about how the kid was forced fed to eat hots dogs everyday until he barfed and was told he would shoot a 400 bull and ended up shooting a 200" muley because he was with a mule deer guide or the governor tag holder showed up and shot the bull he was suppose to with his guide.

And not all my comments were crude and negative. Most of them were positive. The outfitters have earned there reputation for a reason so why do you feel we should cover it up for them?

Should we end up recommending the same taxidermist as the one that did TAZs lion after he kills a big bull or should we recommend a great taxidermist like Chris Kruegar?

Say it how it is people. Some of us will only get a tag like that once in a lifetime.

Oh and by the way. Ive been a CWT member since the beginning and I just forgot my password to my old username because I hadn't been on in awhile so I created a new account. So I'm not new and I'm not taking anyone's side and have no affiliation with any of the services mentioned.

Amen.

• Like 1

My son drew a unit 9 muzzleloader tag a couple years ago, i didn't have the time to maximize the opportunity so i decided to get some help, i did my homework and hired Mullins outfitters and was glad i did, brought my whole family with me, Jim and his crew were wonderful and went out of their way for us, i am a life long az hunter and know unit 9 well myself and trusted my sons hunt to them. My son harvested a great bull on a tough year in unit 9, don't think we would have got him without Jims knowledge. Highly recommend.

Wish I could afford a guide for my unit 9 archery tag.

Zbar, Contrary to popular opinion You neither need Money or guide and it doesn't even matter who you are, Its who you know!!!!!! :) . Some of us go hunting in 9 every year even when we dont draw tags,because theres always someone who likes the extra help.

• Like 2