Sign in to follow this  
NRS

Taking my son bowfishing for the first time

It entirely possible! We hammered the fish along shore at pleasant last Sunday. We went out this past Friday night in the boat and did OK. Slept in the truck so we could shore fish yesterday and it sucked. Fished the exact same spot as last Sunday. The fish were deep. My girlfriend killed one and lost one. I never fired an arrow in the 4 hours we fished.

Well I guess anything is possible.. I talked to Gary this morning and he did confirm only 2 fish.. Hes thinkin it had something to do with a little front that moved through. I can see how Things can change from shore.. If those fish arent up on top/on the shore line you'll never see them.. If i was going to shoot shore line I'd take a 6' A frame ladder and wade out a little ways and get up high. Its incredible what youll see once you gain elevation on the fish!! When your in a boat, even in January, youll usually see more than 2 carp in a day!! Ive been shootin ducks at roosey and wished i had brought my bowfishing bow!!

It entirely possible! We hammered the fish along shore at pleasant last Sunday. We went out this past Friday night in the boat and did OK. Slept in the truck so we could shore fish yesterday and it sucked. Fished the exact same spot as last Sunday. The fish were deep. My girlfriend killed one and lost one. I never fired an arrow in the 4 hours we fished.

Well I guess anything is possible.. I talked to Gary this morning and he did confirm only 2 fish.. Hes thinkin it had something to do with a little front that moved through. I can see how Things can change from shore.. If those fish arent up on top/on the shore line you'll never see them.. If i was going to shoot shore line I'd take a 6' A frame ladder and wade out a little ways and get up high. Its incredible what youll see once you gain elevation on the fish!! When your in a boat, even in January, youll usually see more than 2 carp in a day!! Ive been shootin ducks at roosey and wished i had brought my bowfishing bow!!

We figured it was the front too. My buddy fished every night on the boat last week and they killed a lot of fish. We joined him Friday night and 4 of us only managed 8 fish. We still got on plenty of fish but they seemed to always be in 4-5 feet or more of water. My girlfriend and I are new to bowfishing and had a heck of a time adjusting to shooting that deep. It's a lot of fun though!

4 and 5 feet is a deep shot if your not used to it!! CWpredator and I had a night in early March that was like that! It was our first trip of the year so it took a little time and aiming juice to start filling the bucket. We all shoot instinctively, and it seems like once you get your consistency up at 1-3 foot of water, then its nothing but a couple reminder shots (shooting high) and your killin them at 4-6 foot. Keep at it!

I think spots got shot out!! Last sat we shot 41 fish in one area an sun everyone was in their and it was slow!!

Thanks to everyone that gave me info on where to take my son bowfishing for the first time. We ended up at Lake Pleasant and found the carp were thick in Castle Creek at the bridge. Final tally was five bagged, four slipped off the arrow or other wise escaped because of dads fumble fingers, and numerous misses.

post-1967-0-83846700-1364960440_thumb.jpg

He Shooots!!!

post-1967-0-88501100-1364960550_thumb.jpg

He Scores!!!

I think he is now hooked on bowfishing, now if we just had a boat.

Kudos for you. If only more dads would get their sons and daughters out. Now blow the dust off all that money you got and buy a boat. lol

TJ

Awesome man, soo cool to see the younger guys shooten fish!!! I bet he had a blast!