CouesFanatic

Spent the Day out looking

We worked our tail off today and found 14 Coues. 4 of which were bucks. They were little bucks but still good to see. I'm hoping that when the rut swings in to play the big boys will come out from hiding. Is this usually the case, that the big bucks show up when the rut comes?

By the way: All the does I have seen with fawns in the last few weeks had twin fawns. Its good to see that. Thanks

Glad you had a good scouting trip.

Sorry to say, Unless you have a late dec tag, I would not expect to see coues in te rut.

Yeah I have the december hunt. You always read these stories where the big bucks come out of hiding when the rut comes into play. But how relaible is this? I'm looking to shoot a good coues this year. I have much more time to scout and hunt than normal and I'm not sure if I can count on more bucks coming out from hiding or if I should look in new areas. I hope this makes more sense, thanks.

Well I am glad to hear you have a Dec hunt. Yup, as the rut gets into swing, the bucks, big and small are up an around chasing does and trying to keep other bucks away from their little harems. Lots going on in a big bucks mind, and they can get careless when it comes to being stealthy.

You may want to put out a game cam or 2 to see what is up and around in the night hours. Might also want to put out a salt pile (although it may be too late in the year) to try to help the game get into your game pattern.

Lots of good articles and postings on helping you get the game in your pattern.

Good Luck

The big bucks are always there. I used to think they were always somewhere else before the rut and after the rut, but the more I am out there, I have realized they don't move to much. Lliteraly they are lazy until the rut starts,and when the rut is over they are lazy again. If you find one this time of year most likely he will have a buddy or three. They may be a little bit nocturnal right now, but that being said two weekends ago we were out and didn't see agood buck till about 9:00am. We watched them for an hour or so and they were still feeding in the wide open, when we got tired of the heat and bugs and left. Patience is the key, I would say if you have seen decent bucks where you are hunting in the past keep hunting there if not then mabey find a new spot. My BEST advise would be DON'T over look the "easy" country, the big boy are't always at the end of the road and at top of the roughest mountian around! Good Luck!! What unit are you in?

This is my favorite time of year to scout for coues. While their in velvet they seem to stay out of the real thick stuff and their in bachelor groups. Right after they shed their velvet they'll get harder to find. They will still be in the area for the most part but your bigger bucks will start seperating from eachother and some may move some distance. Depending on the year in late Dec. they will become more active. Some Dec. hunts I've been on there was no sign of thr rut at all. Keep scouting and good luck. ;)

they are also easier to see in the nice green grass, green ocotillos, etc. as opposed to the brown and grey colors we will have from Oct to next spring. CB