Sign in to follow this  
Willyhunts2

Gobblers late in the season

Just wondering if anyone has much luck the last part of the spring season. Drew the early unit 1 tag but obligations have me hunting the last part of the second hunt. I have taken gobblers the first week of the first hunt and first week of the second hunt but never hunted the very end of the season. Is it more like hunting them in the fall that late?

I have also taken gobblers on the first week of the second hunt. A friend of mine took one on the last day of the second season two years ago, and it was gobbling. I do notice that the gobbling does calm down the later in the season you go.

Sometimes late If you can find a hen that Is still looking It can be awesome you might call in 4 or 5 Gobblers all togehter, another thing I like to do In the late part of the season Is wait for them under there roost trees and let them fly up and just listen to some of the calls we have never heard them make, pretty awesome. then I wait for darkness and slip out. I have heard hens In the roost make a sinlge call

and watch the gobblers go crazy even seen them jump on her and mate Well I think they were mating right In the tree.You can go back In the morning and have a great chance of calling them In.Good Luck.

Seldom Drawn

Later in the season is best time call and hunt the big toms in hands down! Everyone gets caught up in the first hunt, but they can be difficult to call. Later when the hens start leaving the flock to lay or sit on their eggs, that big ol Tom gets lonely and is looking for some action. Hens will allow the Tom to continue to service them for a while.

Turkeys are wierd. Some years their going crazy before any hunt and others their just starting up mid to late May. Weather, Feed (snow pack) and temps can all impact when they fire up, so I wouldn't fret too much over missing the first hunt.

When all the hens go to nest, it's game on...Think 10-2, 1000 to 1400 can be awesome, especially late as you'll have lonesome Gobblers crusing! We can hunt into the first tow weeks of May here and I'll always save a bird for that time...

When all the hens go to nest, it's game on...Think 10-2, 1000 to 1400 can be awesome, especially late as you'll have lonesome Gobblers crusing! We can hunt into the first tow weeks of May here and I'll always save a bird for that time...

+1