Sign in to follow this  
Guest oneshot

FREE ARROWHEADS/Trad Archers

Guest oneshot

Are there any trad archers that would like to try using authentic arrowheads on their next Deer/Javi/rabbit hunt??? I'll get a few together that are approx. the same weight/shape and send them to anyone that wants to give it a go... I did this a few years ago, and a guy from Kentucky shot a nice buck with a self-made bow, arrows, and one of the points I sent him, very cool deal.... Arrowheads are personal surface finds from NY...

I would love to use one of these but I believe there is something about the legality of using them in the regs.

Direct from R12-4-304

Bows with a standard pull of 30 or more lbs,

using arrows with broadheads no less than 7/8

inch in width with metal cutting edges;

p.s. 40 lbs min for buffalo

... True, they arent razor sharp, but a properly placed arrow still kills clean...

They may not be razorsharp now but a skilled "knapper" could take them found Arrowheads and turn'em into the deadliest hunting head that is man-made. Even sharper than commercial BH, down to the molecule. I've found arrowheads and put back an edge or point on them like they were just "made" back then. So sharp you'd see the blood running before you knew you had cut yourself. I've been there done that.

I can't tell from the pics, but them points look like chert or maybe flint. I use alotta obsidian and basalt to make points and tools. Last year I used a quarter sized flake of obi to fleshout a deer cape. Excellent for surgical work around the eyes, ears and nostrils. I now keep a small chunk of obi in my hunting pack just for that purpose. If I need a scapel, flake off a piece of obi. Kinda like them diposable knife blades I hear about, except its free and could be found by the truck loads ;) .

• Like 5

I'd like to still give these a try with trad gear to see how'd they fly! Willing to pay for them.

I would like to try a couple on Javalina ?? Would pay you something also ??

Bobby

Dont you know you cant kill an animal unless it has a 2" cutting surface traveling at least 350 fps oh and it HAS to be a 500 gn arrow or it just wont work.

Agreed, shot placement is the determining factor... however it is still against the law (R12-4-304)

Bows with a standard pull of 30 or more lbs,

using arrows with broadheads no less than 7/8

inch in width with metal cutting edges.