Sign in to follow this  
kazpilot25

Tagging Question

I have a question regarding tagging game. Say you kill an animal (we'll use javelina for this example), and decide to butcher it right there in the field and bring the meat back to camp. So you approach the game, tag it, and get to work. Once complete, do you leave the tag on the carcass (assuming you're not taking anything for a trophy) or remove it? What about if you take the animal back to camp, butcher it, then drag the carcass out a ways to let nature take it's course?

Just curious what your thoughts are.

Tag has to be with carcass, or parts of the carcass until you get home, processor or place it's going to be consumed.

R12-4-305

B. An individual shall ensure that evidence of legality remains with the carcass or parts of a carcass of any wild mammal, bird, or reptile that the individual possesses or transports, until arrival at the individuals permanent abode, a commercial processing plant, or the place where the wildlife is to be consumed.

C. In addition to the requirement in subsection B, an indi- vidual possessing or transporting the following wildlife shall also ensure that:

1. Big game, sandhill cranes, and pheasant each have

the required valid tag attached as prescribed in R12-

4-302;

I always keep the tag on the meat. Using your example of a javelina, I take the tag off when I'm packaging it for the freezer at my house. And I keep all of my tags in my hunting drawer. If you get caught with game meat in your camp without a tag, you're probably going to get hit with a ticket. And if you leave the tag on the carcass, you might get a ticket for littering! My Dad told me once, "the tag is the first thing you put on, and the last thing you take off".

Make sure the tag goes with you and the meat. I had this same question because we processed our javelina in the field. I felt stupid tagging the lower leg when I was planning to leave that in the field. We ended up tagging a lower leg and then sawing it off and bring it with us. I spoke with a warden about this and he said that was fine.

Make sure the tag goes with you and the meat. I had this same question because we processed our javelina in the field. I felt stupid tagging the lower leg when I was planning to leave that in the field. We ended up tagging a lower leg and then sawing it off and bring it with us. I spoke with a warden about this and he said that was fine.

That's exactly what I did this year but it just felt weird. Thanks for the info.

That's exactly what I did this year but it just felt weird. Thanks for the info.

It does feel weird! I felt like a criminal if I didn't tag it and an idiot when I did tag it since I knew that would mean I needed to saw off a leg to take tag with me....normally when I bone out a deer and take it with me it's not an issue because the tag can go on the antler.