Sign in to follow this  
KaibabHunter

How to buy a quality ATV/Ranger?

Never owned one before and don't pretend to know much about em. I'm kinda in the market for the right deal. Would prefer a ranger but tough to find in my low price range, so quad is more likely.

Anyway what are the key things a rookie buyer should be looking and asking when I go check em out, especially when looking at older models? Looking used only and 4x4. Any advice appreciated.

• Like 1

I looked at used when I bought my last Ranger (2011)... but one of my criteria was under 100 hrs because I knew what "I could do to a ranger" if I had a 100 hours on it... looked and looked... found a few and then bought new for a couple thousand more just so I knew I wasn't buying someone elses problems... but on a quad if you buy a Honda and it looks in good condition outside it is most likely in great condition inside... Honda quads are the only ones I will own... but that is just me.

• Like 1

I've seen a few good deals on Craigslist recently. My advice, figure out what you want and be very patient. We bought a 2007 700XP Ranger a while back with 93 hours, custom full length roll cage with canvas top, full glass windshield and a double axle trailer for $7500. The trailer alone was worth around 2K. Just sit back, sift through the ads and wait for the right one. They are out there, but you have to be patient, and ready to buy when the right opportunity shows up.

• Like 1

I bought my Ranger off Craigslist. It had around 100 hrs and now how almost 1000? My Ranger is a tank and has been very reliable. I have maintained it by the hour.... I think they are reliable, you can tell how its been maintained and driven. I am sure if somebody was to look at mine they would be second guessing because of the nicks and scratches

Look underneath a Ranger look for damage you can get a lot of info from underneath.

Trying to be patient. Stupid me, I bought a utility trailer last year for my strip hunt thinking it would be big enough for a ranger but its not wide enough, and due to how the back end was built its even too narrow for some quads, so now I gotta deal with that too...

A quad is great for just me hunting (less $) but a ranger is great for the family (more$).

Good comments! Low hrs. No oil consumption (my bro-in-law got taken on a Razor that had an aftermarket air filter that ruined the engine). Well maintained. Make sure the trailer is big enough for you to walk between the machine and the side of the trailer -- I only have about 2 inches of clearance on mine and oh that is a bad mistake.

What hour range is considered low? I'll be looking at a 500 with 360 hours (and its a carb not efi). Was told by another guy who works on em at a shop and he said to avoid the 500.

Doesn't look like my budget can get me into a 700 efi...

Thx for the responses. I got the right sized trailer for a good deal and got a really good deal on a 07 ranger 700 efi with just over 200 hours. Not too abused and came with a few extras.

You will love it. Mine came with some abuse issues. I have paid the price and overcome them now. But as another guy said about his mine is a tank. I point the tires and give it has and it takes me there. Mine is a bit gutless in the higher altitudes with all six of us in it. But at least I'm not beating the heck out of my truck anymore.

Putting the finishing touches on a homemade roof right now. Put a 4" lip on it for more cargo space and its sturdy enough to stand on which might give me just enough height to use as a quick glassing platform. Have the cabelas universal UTV bench seat ordered and should be done except for a windshield. Kids love it.

I put my windshield on in the winter and off in the summer. They make a hot and dusty ride.

• Like 1