Sign in to follow this  
ScottAF

The .223

No way man. As Lark would say... 270 all the way. Whether hunting coues in the Arizona desert, dahls in the rugged mountains, elephants in Africa or pheasants in the uplands...the Winchester 270 is the only way baby! :lol:

As for the 223, keep it for cheap plinking, coyotes and oinkers.

not to go off on tangent but the 30-06 is the best all around caliber, from varmints to bison. B)

UUUGH...Puhleaze.

Back to the 223. If I were you and going to use it, I would be very hestitant to shoot over 300 yards. This topic also calls for shot placement. If you can put that bullet in the zone every time, I guess go for it.

Now, back to the 30-06 quote. Just messing with you mulie hunter...270 and 30-06 ballistics aren't too far off from one another.

Way back in the good old days when I used to walk to school barefoot in 10 ft high snow drifts(used to snow in Flag back then :lol: ) I used to use my 22-250 for whitetail. It performed well, both deer I shot with it took one shot and it rolled them over immediately. As I grew more mature(fatter and balder) I realized that there is much less wind drift with a 150 grain bullet out of my 30-06 versus a 63 gr bullet out of my 22-250 on long range shots. Now I would not use less than my new 257 weatherby magnum :D , my other rifle for coues is the good old 300 wsm in tikka t3. Now would I use 223 for coues? Only if I absolutely had to and I would not take any shots longer than 250, oh and there is quite a difference in the 223 and the 223 wssm. my .02. AG

there is a pretty decently sized difference between the 223 and the 223 wssm.

and yes how could i forget the 25-06! maybe since i sold mine ( which i didnt want to do but had NO CASH) i want to forget all about the gun and caliber!!

270wsm is the best coues round... only took my buck 4/5 shots to the shoulder/lung area last year

It's kinda of funny to sit and read this particular thread as it is obvious that opinions are running rampant. Personally i wouldnt use a .223 for deer and that is only because i have other options at my disposal. Having said that let me say this, the US Military uses the .223 and trains soldiers to hit accurately at 300 meters touting that as a fairly guaranteed kill range given the bullet is placed in a vital area. And therein lies the key to ANY caliber, if you can get it in the kill area, within an acceptable range proportionate to the cartridge you are shooting, the animal WILL die. Now i dont know about you but I havent had to make many shots over 350 yards when it comes to deer and i highly doubt that the average hunter is going to take a 350-400 yard shot (note i said average hunter). For me, if it's not a trophy animal and i have the capability to get closer, imma get closer. One last thing, whats with you fellas and yer .20 cal cartidges? recoil issues? inferiority complex? (ha ha) ;)

I want one!! how much??? I been looking for a A2 with a flat top upper. Cant find a good price tho...

Ron

I can hook you up with this .223, just think, if you could place 5 rounds in the vitals............ :D

It's kinda of funny to sit and read this particular thread as it is obvious that opinions are running rampant. Personally i wouldnt use a .223 for deer and that is only because i have other options at my disposal. Having said that let me say this, the US Military uses the .223 and trains soldiers to hit accurately at 300 meters touting that as a fairly guaranteed kill range given the bullet is placed in a vital area. And therein lies the key to ANY caliber, if you can get it in the kill area, within an acceptable range proportionate to the cartridge you are shooting, the animal WILL die. Now i dont know about you but I havent had to make many shots over 350 yards when it comes to deer and i highly doubt that the average hunter is going to take a 350-400 yard shot (note i said average hunter). For me, if it's not a trophy animal and i have the capability to get closer, imma get closer. One last thing, whats with you fellas and yer .20 cal cartidges? recoil issues? inferiority complex? (ha ha) ;)

i want one too!

DotShot,

The military uses full metal jackets don't they, that makes a big difference compared to say a nosler partition, they just expand. So in the military 223 they are just teaching them to hit what they are aiming at and going from there. AG

Many think that when the military went to the .223 it was a big mistake. Even if it wasn't the military is re-thinking the .223 and seriously looking at the 6.8mm. The parent case is the 30 Remington, Remington's rimless version of the ol' 30-30 Win, necked down to a .277 bullet. The reports were "no impact, knock-down, etc" from the .223. So the military loves to spend our are hard paid taxes just for giggles or there just might be a bit of a problem with the energy of the .223.

I don't own a .223, not because I don't like it but because I don't have enough money for another toy :) .

:ph34r:

First of all good info guys.Ron I bought an AR-15 at sportsmans warehouse.After taxes it was 1,003 dollars.It's a bushmaster with a removable carrying handle.I only got to shoot it once before I had to come back to Hawaii.I'm currentley here for the United States Army.Anyways I like this style because you have the option of using it as a flat top or with fixed sights.

The military likes the .223 because it wounds people, they might not admit that, but when you wound someone it takes away two or three guys if they have to help the one, that is what I was told.

Very true Kagaines.And also because it such light weight ammuntion.And the m-4 is a very light weapon.But like More-d said they are debating on switching to the 6.8 mm.Black Water uses it right now in Iraq with there sniper teams.I saw it used in a video and the sniper was efectivley hitting and putting down his targets at 800 meters.